pre amps, power amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dustklose, Apr 1, 2005.

1. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    ok... what is the difference between all of these...haha i have absolutely no clue...what do each of them do? i have a peavey minx110 but am upgrading to a ashdown300mag, and avatar 212....but thats besides the point...the ashdown puts out 307 watts at 4 my question do i get more power out of that??? and also what are all of them???

as you can tell i'm a newb
  2. A preamp goes into the power amp, the power amp goes into the speakers and a post amp is what you put on a letter before mailing.
  3. dustklose

Feb 5, 2005
    North Dakota
    so if i get a pre amp with big wattage(lets say 1000w) then that will cancel out the 307 of the ashdown? is that how it goes or not?
  4. The pre amp is the "tone shaping" part of the chain, the power amp is the part that "powers" your speakers, wattage. You can get a bass head that combines pre and power amps, or you can get seperate components such as a seperate preamp and power amp. The Ashdown you're getting from Avatar would be considered a bass head and combines the pre amp and power amp sections.
  5. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    go to the top of this furom to the FAQ sticky and check out some of the threads there. there is tons of info there.

preamps don't have wattage, poweramps do.

a head has a preamp and a poweramp in it.

you can't get more power out of the ashdown. cars can be hot rodded for more horsepower, getting more wattage entails getting a different amplifier. even then, there is a complex interaction between the cabinets you use and the amplifier you use in order to get the volume you want.
  6. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Believe it or not, it can get a bit complicated:
    Amps that use Solid State power sections usually deliver more power the lower the impedence (resistance) of the load (cab) is, but are designed to work into some "set" minimum impedence (most are either 4ohm or 2ohm).
    You can live with one 4ohm 212 and get all the power the 300mag was made to deliver
    Or you can get one 8ohm 212 now, get approximately 3db less volume from the system (not a huge difference, but noticable), and if you want, later add another 8ohm cab (when connected normally) will give the amp its 4ohm load.

307 watts is probably better used just driving one cab (to avoid underpowering the cabs -- another sticky issue -- you can't harm a cab by underpowering it, but if you run the amp louder than it was designed to be run (clipping), that's not good and won't sound good either).

Or keep the cab(s) and later get a more powerful source of amplification.

What does all this mean?

My suggestion would be to get the one 4ohm version of the 212 & you'll get all that the amp was designed to deliver.