Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-amps to make an electric sound more like a DB

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by SBassman, Mar 5, 2006.

1. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hi,

As some of you know, I play a fretless Sinsonido that I love very much. If I never improved the sounds another drop, I would still love it.

But, I am always on the lookout for different tones.

Are there any pre-amps that would make my fretless - or other electrics - sound more like a DB? I was thinking of something like a Fishman B-II. Any chance that would add more DB tone to a fretless electric? Note also that the pickups on my particular fretless are Condensor Mic pick-ups, not magnetic ones.

Any possibilities? Thanks.

2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Frank -

I don't mean to hijack your thread but I am really curious about how your Aria is holding up for you, especially on gigs.

How does it work on the bandstand?

Also, how do your bandmates/audiences respond to it?

I'm interested in your thoughts.

BTW: To get more of an "upright-ish" tone, try the Labella Black Nylon Tapewound strings. They are awesome on that bass.

3. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hi - I'll respond over in the Sinsonido thread.

4. flatwoundfender

flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    not sure on the preamp, but foam under the bridge helps pbasses sound alot more like an upright, that's why the originals had it there.

5. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Hundreds of years ago...well, OK, in the mid '70s, I attended a seminar put on by a gentleman who made his own solid body electric Cello. He brought in racks of filters that he tuned to approximate the sound of an acoustic Cello.

My guess is that it would take some substantial filtering to reach a true upright bass tone.

6. Rodent

Rodent Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 20, 2004
    Upper Left Corner (Seattle)
    Player-Builder-Founder: Regenerate Guitar Works
    a pre-amp seems like the wrong approach, at least to me. when I think URB, I think of natural accoustic sound resonating from a tuned body - a most passive system

what if you were to utilize flatwound strings (like a real URB) and set your action higher to eliminate the electric fretless mwah (like a real URB)? Adding a little foam under the strings at the bridge (experiment with the exact amount) would help to reduce the sustain to be more like a real URB

Next I'd look into changing out the cap on the passive 250k tone pot to something that could cut off even more highs ... maybe adding a .022uf cap in parallel to the standard .047uf cap would do the trick, or maybe you'd need to step to a .1uf cap. caps are cheap and can be changed out rather quickly - just remember to use a good hot soldering iron and keep the on time to a minimum so as to avoid cooking the cap and/or pot

Once you had it sounding like a URB, then the real work would begin - learning how to play with authentic URB style, note selection, and feel.

All the best,

R

7. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Rodent is right on.

I can make a bass guitar sound like my DB when I want to. It's how you play it more than anything else.