Pre Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BrianKennedy, Jun 25, 2004.

1. BrianKennedy

Jun 25, 2004
    Can anyone explain what the heck pre amps and power amps do?? How do I use them, what do I need to use them? Any information will be helpful! Thanks!!!
  2. A preamp processes and shapes your signal and has an equalizer. A power amp amplifies your signal so you can hear it. You can't plug into a preamp and then to a cab because there is nothing to amplify your signal. You have to go from your bass to a preamp to process and shape your signal, then to a power amp to amplify the signal, and then to a cab to hear your signal. Simple really.
  3. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    To add on to what freshmeat1989 said...

An amp head is a preamp and power amp combined into one piece (in case you were wondering.)

Some people choose heads for simplicity, while others choose preamp/poweramp setups for versatility or to customize their tone/power needs.
  4. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Speaking of preamps, I got a preamp I want to start using but it's only got an input on the rear of it. Should I set it up like this?

bass --> korg dtr2 tuner --> preamp --> compressor --> poweramp --> cab

or is the compressor not fit to output straight into a poweramp? Or should it be like this:

bass --> korg dtr2 tuner --> preamp --> compressor (in fx loop of preamp) --> preamp --> poweramp --> cab

Eh? :help:

5. I'm not expert but i know what I'd do is try both... and see what sounds better!

although the second idea seems like it's gonna work better to me.

If you want basic terms for power and pre amps, i think of the pre amp as gain and EQ controls on any amp. Then the master volume is the power amp section!

not always technically right but thats the basic jist of any amp set up