pre amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by siwel24, May 20, 2001.

1. siwel24

May 3, 2001
    when, where and why would i use a pre-amp?

Also, how much do they cost to buy and have installed?
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    What, you mean an onboard pre-amp for a bass guitar or a pre-amp for a pre-amp + power amp rig setup?

Onboard pre-amps are installed into basses to give you tone shaping possibilites (i.e. EQ) on the bass guitar itself. There are also outboard pre-amps, which are meant to work in the same way as onboards, but instead of installing them into the bass you can attach the outboard pre-amp box to your belt or whatever.

Pre-amps are also found in amp rigs, and their main purpose is to shape the tone and then just pass it on to the power amp for the true amplification (increasing the volume). Any bass head or combo has both pre-amp and power amp bundled, but you could also buy separates, i.e. a bass pre-amp and any dedicated bass power amp or even PA amps.

So what are you looking for?
  3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hej, Oyster,,,,who makes "outboard preamp boxes"?
    Are thay like onboards, regarding controls and function?

(Hm, seems I suddenly woke up on this one)
  4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Well, good morning then, Suburban! ;)

Sadowsky and Aguilar have outboard versions of their onboards. They are based on the onboard circuits, but I don't know if they sound exactly the same. EBS used to make one too, the "Microbass" (yes, same name as Peavey's practice amp), but that has been discontinued (I saw that Musikbörsen had a used one somewhere). AFAIK, the tone controls on the Sadowsky and Aguilar are boost only, whereas I THINK the EBS had boost AND cut.

They are about the same as the onboards, but they can (or at least the Sadowsky can) function as a DI as well.

They're all I know of... maybe there's more of them?
  5. Speaking of Pre-amps and not to steal it away from suburban or anything, but I am calling on all electronics personnell! I just finished building a 2 channel pre-amp in a rack case.

Now All the voltages checked out ok, it ran fine, no smoke etc, I got the thump at turn on/off yet when i put the guitar through it, i get nothing. If i turn the volumes all the way up i get the hiss in the speakers (very faint), you know when u have no guitar being played and the volume is just maxed out?

I am at a dead los as to why in theory it works but practically it doesn't.

6. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Tnx, Oysterman! I'll have a look....

And it seems Merlin just arrived to Mr Electro Murphy... I wish I could help, but I'm a mech - for obvious reasons....
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Great topic for the Amps forum.

Will C.:cool:
  8. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Just off the top of my head, check your input jack...also try a different cable from your bass.
  9. Mr Electro Murphy? ***! please enlighten my Australian mind.

Oh and Jerry thanx dude, i'll check it out. I emailed the guy who invented it and he said to check my input and output jacks have the metal tabs the right way round..