Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Haley, Jul 10, 2002.

1. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I currently own an Aguilar db 359 which I really like, but I may need a more powerful rig. I'm thinking about a Pre-amp and seperate power amp set up. I'm considering the Demeter and the Aguilar pre-amps. Any suggestions? How do they compare?
  2. Jeff Haley

Jeff Haley

May 17, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga.
    I'm also looking at the Alembic f2b pre-amp. Thanks for any input.
  3. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    i think the single rack mount aguilar is the DB659
    the db680 is about $1500 and the 659 is about about $800 less i think.....
  4. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the aguilar DB659's offers a burnished, vintagey ampeg like voice, yet its got its own hifi edge. Demeter's VTBP-201s, which is what i use, has a glassier hifi voice that's fat, yet smooth as silk.

to be honest with you, a separate preamp / ss power amp would not sound nearly as nice as the DB359. the power section does some amazing massaging to the overall tone.

but if you've got the moolah, the DB680 is incredibly hard to beat. Hifi, fat, muscular, versatile, but not as glassy as the demeter. similar to the DB659, but feels deeper, and has more goin' on in the tone.
  5. SCT1422

SCT1422 Supporting Member

Kern IP-777... It's nice... Sort of a cross between the Alembic F1-X and Aguilar DB-659 which are both excellent ... I'm looking maybe to pick-up another DB-659 in the future... It's got a nice round sound... Best of luck... Steven..
  6. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    The Kern is very nice, but good luck getting one, let alone, getting tech support.

if you want something similar, then Demeter is the way to go. same glassy and fat, hifi feel. the only problem i have with it is the EQ isnt drastic as the Kern's. but with my bass' onboard active preamp, that aint a prob.

besides, Jim and Phil are the nicests doods and will do what they can to help.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I bought an F2B used back in '85 and it served flawlessly as my main tone machine for over 15 years, despite many gigs and indelicate roadies. I've only retubed it twice. It has been in the shop twice in the past 2 years for very simple repairs, but all things considered its service record is still incredible.

It's a simple device, but extremely quiet (only significant hiss I've noticed is when engaging the bright switch with an active bass... and I don't normally do that). It's extremely dynamic... it can range from squeaky clean to just slightly dirty (in a warm tubey way). I normally run just one channel, but it is possible to achieve overdriven sounds by using one channel to overdrive the other.

I've heard great things about the other pres mentioned, but my F2B has given me no reason to look elsewhere, and thus I haven't bothered to do so.

Good luck on your search... let us know how it turns out!
  8. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I really like the Demeter! Very pure!
  9. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Rockin John's "tube+solid state" poweramp idea might be what the DB 359 needs. If you use a load resistor or some kind of speaker emulator, you can tap the 359's signal and send it to a poweramp (I'd go with something lightweight since the 359's heavy enough already, maybe a stewart world 1.2 .) Then you can have the 359's basic sound and still bring it to an audible level.
  10. SCT1422

If anybody is interested, a used Kern IP-777 preamp is up for sale at He's asking $700.00, which I believe is too much.. You can buy a new one for $799.00.. They're available at this number (262) 657-0315... I received mine about 4 weeks ago and it's killer... There is about a 2-4 week wait, but well worth it... Steven...
  11. Kern IP-777 I love mine. :DNo regrets what-so-ever. Tech support? I don't know what JokerNY is talking about. I've never needed it. First, the preamp is simple to use and comes with a well-written manual. Second, I've never had a problem in almost three years of ownership. I can't say the tech support is good or bad but I've never needed it.

I got my Kern with the ground lift switch and built in power supply at no additional charge. I.e., no wall wart. :)
  12. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

it seems Kern isnt the most reliable guy according to lots of the dealers we know and trust. sorta bailed out on the last batch of orders he promised, and fell off the face of the earth. the numbers on his website are all disconn'ed, and he hasnt given out his new number.
  13. SCT1422

Try this number (262) 657-0315 and keep trying til you get through to Henry or somebody else.. I just spoke to Henry yesterday regarding some questions I had and he was more than helpful.. I also heard the same thing from dealers as well, but I found this number on another TalkBass forum and it worked... The price was $799.00 shipping included and there was no down payment.. You order and he calls when it's ready, about 2-4 weeks... Best of luck... Steven...