Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Psycho Funk, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Hey Guys,

I'm looking to go to a preamp/power amp rig. I currently have the SWR 900 but I'm looking for a warmer yet clean tone for Funk/Slap/rock band. I don't use much effects and the parametric EQ is making me nuts.

I'll use my Epifani 3x10 cab with this new setup. I'll wait for your suggestions.
  2. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Look at the EBS preamps. Many people decribe the tone of EBS clean, but versatile enough to be warm also.
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    The Demeter 201 is a great simple to use but awesome sounding preamp!
  4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Check out a SansAmp RBI.
  5. Slap a good GE or Sylvania 5751 preamp tube into that SM 900 to warm things up.
    (the stock "select" GT tubes suck).

You've got one of the best amps on the planet.

I use a FBD to get some warmth with my SWR.
    It's nice to go from driven to hi-fi with the tap of the foot.

Change if you must.
  6. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Heck...if you threw in a Sansamp BDDI in front of the 900, you could warm the hell out of it, and not set yourself back a load. IMO, anyway.
  7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Good point, if he keeps the 900. I stand by the RBI suggestion if he goes with a separate power amp.
  8. is an ampeg svp-pro good for a more rawer but warm slap sound?
  9. Sorry, I had to drop off fro a while. I like the new tube idea. I have a friend who reviews tubes for hifi magazines who has a whole bunch to try.

I do have the Sansamp DI and haven't been able to get the right balance between clean and warm but I'll keep trying.

10. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    couldnt agree more... ;)

but Donne's also got a great point. before you splurge, try a simple tube swap.

5751's of whatever NOS pedigree would do wonders for a slap sound. adds a nice dalloup of treb transients to your tone for slap.
  11. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    its good, but a little on the "too" warm side for me. i'm always finding myself crankin' up the highs for a sufficient treble snap when i'm using one at GC.
  12. Hey Jokerjkny thanks. I'll try the new tube but I do have G.A.S. for the Demeter preamp. I tried the Aguillar, Demeter and Ampeg SVP-Pro and would have to say the Demeter fit my style best.
  13. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I second (or third) the Demeter VTBP 201. From your description, it sounds perfrect for what you are looking for.
  14. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    the VTBP-201s is definitely my secret weapon of choice, but these days, i've been eyeing its more sophisticated cousin, the parametric HPB-1.

my db680's parametric EQ makes adjusting for certain rooms a breeze, but i'd like it in a Demeter tonality.

Gard's pretty happy with his.... Hmm....
  15. Golem II

Golem II

Jan 4, 2002
    Macon, GA, USA
    Joker, please sell me your db680 and buy an HBP-1. :D
    Then record and send me some sound samples of that because I'm unbearably curious about it. Someone on BGRA described it as "a pissed off Ampeg SVT backed into a corner in the back of a dark alley in the pouring down rain!"
    And that was with a QSC 1000 watt amp. I think it would take very kindly to massive amounts of tube power.
  16. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Good suggestions, all of you guys, but I have to add one more that I think is the best balance of all the preamps.

Eden Navigator

Check it out, play it, love it, worship it. It is one of the most versatile and great-toned preamps out there. The warmth of the lows and the crisps of the highs are just mouth watering. I DEFINITELY recommend an Eden as your preamp.
  17. I haven't had a chance to try a Navigator. Is it the same preamp as the World Tour 800? I may be able to try one of those.
  18. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Demeter hands down. makes every other amp at guitar center sound like poo.
  19. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Yeah, same circuit but a few more goodies. I recommend it if you're just looking for a PREAMP, not an amp, and that Eden sound. Just marvelous at everything.
  20. Kern IP-777 preamp