pre CBS fender p body question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gnome01, Jun 11, 2003.

1. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Just picked up a highly modified '60 p bass, and I noticed that the body has a distinct line that seems to separate 2 laminated pieces of wood - not in the center but towards the lower portion of the body, like an 80/20 split (natural finish of course). There's a fairly substantial difference in color on either side. Also, even though the neck joint is solid and tight, the neck is slightly wider than the joint before it joins the body. Are these things fairly common of older p basses?
  2. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    It sounds as though your bass has been refinished. It's pretty common of the body to be built from two laminated pieces of wood. I don't recall if my '63 Precision is that way but my '69 Jazz is.

Back in the earlier days of Fender, and maybe even today, the joint between the neck and the body wasn't taken that serious, as long as the neck fit into the neck pocket. This became more evident in the CBS-era.
  3. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I agree, it doesn't seem odd to me.
    With mis-matching wood assembled like that, means it was originally a solid color body. They usually didn't care what it looked like underneath.
  4. I have a '74 Jazz bass (refinished) made from 4 different pieces! It's a great sounding bass though.

Leo changed things later though - My G&L SB-2 has a beautiful 1 piece swamp ash body, while my L-2000 is a 2 piece ash that is so perfectly matched you can scarcely tell it's 2 pieces.
  5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    One piece bodies have always been rare. More care was taken to match pieces when the finish would be transparent, but it's still rare to see Fenders with one piece bodies.

Until the natural finish was introduced in the 70s, the only transparent Fender finish was sunburst and even then you can't see the wood at the edges of the body.

Some blonde over ash finishes allowed you to see some grain but it wasn't truly transparent so seams between pieces of wood would have been hard to spot.
  6. gnome01

Oct 30, 2001
    Bronx NY, USA
    Cool, thanks for all the replies - I thought it was odd to have such a distinct line so far from the center, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't get an intentionaly beat up Warmouth or something. Anyone else have seemingly misfit neck/body joints?