Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre CBS Fender

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cassanova, May 27, 2003.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was having a discussion with a fellow TBer and we were wondering what the last year that Fender was pre CBS.

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I'm not a card-carrying Fender historian, but I recall 1965 as the year CBS bought Fender.

3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    January 3, 1965.

4. Yes, 1965 was the year CBS bought Fender, but, I believe many people still consider instruments in the "Pre-CBS" category for about a year or so after this date as there were still many parts and unfinished guitars hanging around.

I'm not sure of the date when people consider Fender's quality to have noticeably gone down.

Mike

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    From the Vintage Guitars Info site:
    "The "transistion" era (late summer 1964 to December 1965) are the least collectible of the pre-CBS models. This era is known as a "transition" because later summer 1964 to December 1965 was the time when there was a transition from the Leo Fender management to CBS management, and mass-production manufacturing techniques were starting to take a firm hold."

6. Thanks, Turock. :) For some reason I thought it was from January 1965 to early 1967.

Mike