1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-CBS p bass vs. '62 american vintage model

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by AFWbass, Mar 8, 2008.

1. AFWbass

AFWbass

Jul 16, 2005
    Monroe, CT
    Does anyone here own the new american vintage 62 pbass that has experience playing an actual pre-cbs fender. I've heard the things were made so solid and heavy that nothing can compare to the growl and tone they produced. think the re-issue can hold up to the real thing?

2. BobXboB

BobXboB Banned

Sep 25, 2007
    The reissue can blow away a pre cbs going by the L series p basses I've played.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

My 1997 '62RI P sounds better than the couple of pre-CBS P's I have played.

Having said that, my '73 P sounds better than my RI.

Quality and tone is unbelievably variable in old Fenders. Some are terrible and others are the holy grail.

4. andvari7

andvari7

Aug 28, 2004
    Ennui
    +1 My '73 P is the greatest instrument I have ever played in my life. And I've played a pre-CBS J, a couple of Foderas, a Ric, and some other biggies (Spector, old Warwick, etc.).

When I was in high school, there were pretty much two competent bassists in my graduating class - a dude with a bit more in the ways of finances, and myself. While he had the more expensive rig, his bass wasn't performing like a $1000+ bass should (it was a Spector CR, I believe). I was running a '73 P through a Peavey TKO115, which I still use, and was able to, pound for pound, meet or beat his playing.

I think he's getting his master's in bass, and is dissatisfied with his high-priced John Myung sig. I still might be as good as him, even without that book-learning.

5. bassman10096

bassman10096

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    Truer words were never spoken. The oldies are a rarity, and some have survived so long because somebody liked them, but even that doesn't guarantee anything whatsoever. :cool:

6. HT Paul

HT Paul

Mar 3, 2008
    My crumudgenly thought - Leave the pre cbs stuff for collectors, really there is no way any tone is worth that kind of dough. If you want a heavier bass, check with a custom builder, ask for the heaviest P body they can make, add your favorite neck, a good bridge, a good pickup, odds and ends, and go.

7. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A pal of mine has a '66 P I would sell a kidney to own. Ok, I probably wouldn't go that far, but you get the idea.