Pre-Covid vs Now: Upward % change in new and used

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassrique, May 17, 2021.

1. What is the percentage change you've noticed, and how much further do you think it goes?

Ellery and lowendrachel like this.
  2. Bassndrums73

Bassndrums73

Mar 13, 2018
    Ohio
    Anything in particular we’re discussing?

3. A general overview. Perhaps we can separate low priced to mid priced and top-of-line. New and used.

I've noticed an upward trend and I'm curious what the numbers are. Predictions interest me as well.

4. Another reason for the thread is I'm moving back to FL soon and may "thin the herd" a bit. I have 13 basses and a guitar. I may sell 3 to 4. I suspect now os the best time. Thanks for your imput.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    ChipDougl4s and C Stone like this.
  5. Bassclef46

Bassclef46

Feb 1, 2021
    Can’t wait to read the scientific data in the percentages provided

6. C Stone

C Stone

Sep 4, 2020
    USA
    Of course and if I were going to "thin the herd" or needed to lighten the load IMO right now would be the time for top $$$.

7. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    My suggestion put them up for sale at the price you're willing to let them go, can't hurt, won't cost you to post and you can always say no if they're offering what you feel is too little. The used market is still pretty decent out there for sellers - you'll likely get your asking price as long as it isn't unrealistic like what some sellers are trying to ask for. I trimmed down my bass collection and sold about 5 basses in planning to move myself.
    As the tax return refunds and the stimulus payments have all but run out for most, it's not quite like it was last month but there's still a market for used instruments, also what I can suggest is perhaps some sellers are willing to accept trades as in 2 or 3 of your basses for 1 better one of the same relative value, I did that too, reduced the number of basses by one and got a better keeper bass in the process. Example would be trading a MIM p and a MIM jazz for one MIA P.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
    tallulahsdaddy, bassrique and C Stone like this.
  8. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    2x4s & 4x4s: 200-300%

4x8 sheets of 7 ply 3/4”: 300-350%

24x48 sheets of 6061: 200%-300%

60x60” sheets of 1” birch ply: out of stock for the next ten weeks at a minimum

60x60” sheets of 3/4” birch ply: 400%

Milk: 150%

eggs: 150%

wool athletic wear: 350-500% or out of stock for the foreseeable future

people complaining about the price of an EBMM: about the same

9. trebbihm

trebbihm

Dec 7, 2014
    Inland Empire
    I live in logging country, and every mill I’ve seen is stacked to the sky with boards, sheets, and fresh timber. These prices make no sense, and I’m at the point of claiming foul play.

10. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Thats what we’ve been figuring.

There was a price jump in ‘08 which was “supposed to go back to normal” but never did. So now there’s some new event which the industry can point to as a reason to hike prices “temporarily”...

11. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    As a builder - my cost for parts and wood also has gone up. It's across the board.

dkelley, MynameisMe and james condino like this.
  12. Jxff

Jxff

Sep 6, 2016
    South OC, CA
    If it is a mystery to some, it isn't to me. Wall Street loved the pandemic. Look at the future... a cyber currency bloom during a pandemic will lead to a massive growth in capital. In about 10 to 15 years get ready for the next shift, economic destruction due to climate change.

31HZ, Abe-of-Bass, dralionux and 2 others like this.
  13. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    They're trying to do that right now.

14. kmon

kmon Supporting Member

May 11, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I estimate that 98% of the people who went the guitar hobby route during the recent unpleasantness have now lost interest and are using their Fenders to hang laundry on.

I predict that they'll soon accept their failure and begin dumping them...this stupid, nonsensical bubble's gonna burst.

Jefenator, pickaxe, dkelley and 8 others like this.
  15. Jxff

Jxff

Sep 6, 2016
    South OC, CA
    They didn't try to learn on a 70's P bass.

16. Chad Michael

Chad Michael Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2001
    Pacific Northwest USA
    Everything is going to be just fine...

Just open your wallet reeeeaaal wide...

Rezdog, MynameisMe, ajkula66 and 3 others like this.
  17. Wambemando

Wambemando

Apr 26, 2020
  18. I've had good luck selling several basses in the past month, mostly got what I paid for them or more, but many of them were purchased with an employee discount. I've also found some sweet used stuff on craigslist that I was able to nab, fix up and flip for a decent profit.

bassrique and MynameisMe like this.
  19. rockdoc11

rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    A couple of years ago I picked up a MIM Fender PJ for $400. I recently sold it (quickly) for $700.

And I can't remember the last "good deal" I saw on gear on craigslist. My gut tells me prices are up substantially.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021