Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-Cut Block Inlay for a Jazz

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by freshmeat1989, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Is there anywhere I can find pre-cut Mother of Pearl block inlays for a Jazz Bass? How much would it cost to send my neck and the inlays to someone to have it done? Would it look wierd without binding? Thanks for any replies!

2. Bass Kahuna

Bass Kahuna

Dec 3, 2002
    West Lafayette, Indiana
    Luthier, Custom Builder
    www.luthiersupply.com sells pre-cut block inlays, of many different styles and combined shell types.

However, putting inlays in a pre-existing fingerboard is a bit of a pain, especially if it it a fretted fingerboard. It can be tough to do without removing the frets, and having to pay for a refret will run the cost up. If it is a maple fingerboard it is even a bit tougher as you have to get the inlay cutout dang near if not perfect as you can't just fill the gap in with black epoxy like on an ebony or rosewood fingerboard.

There are several shops that specialize in inlay work, and I would contact one of them, like http://www.sharkinlay.com/