Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-EB 1984 Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BIg O, Oct 31, 2003.

1. Hey folks:
    Any idea on market value for this instrument?

Year: 1984
    Make: Musicman Stingray (pre-EB, no EB markings)
    Finish: Natural (Maple?), Original
    Neck / Fretboard: Maple
    Pickguard: Black
    Condition: Excellent

I have a chance to make an offer on this, but looking at a number of sites I have found prices to be all over the map. Any help is appreciated.

:bassist: :help:

2. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    1980 through 1984 were odd times for Musicman basses. The "Leo" era was over but the factory had not yet been purchased by EB. Many of the basses were being assembled from leftover parts. I guess the easiest way to put it is that these basses don't have the 'mojo' - or collectability - associated with the 76-79 Stingrays.

This is not to say that they were bad basses - not at all. But that's why you see such a range of prices for these things. Some people overvalue them, thinking "pre-EB" is a guarantee of some sort of Leo Mojo. Some people undervalue them, thinking the period between Leo and EB was one of bad quality. Neither camp is right, IMNSHO.

Bottom line is the same with any bass - play it, listen to it, if it speaks to you, buy it.

I've been through a lot of Stingrays, including some from the 80-84 era. My PERSONAL OPINION is that, if the bass is in excellent shape, I would pay no more than 850 for it.

Maybe someday these will become more "collectable" and then prices will shoot up, but I've never been interested in that aspect of it anyway, so keep that in mind when listening to me go on and on.

By the way, how do you know it's an 84 model?

Jack

3. Thanks for the feedback Jack.

This is just a guess, since that is the year the owner bought it new. I'm having him check for any date marks - do they have the neck and pocket dates marked? I should get him to get me the S/N I guess...

4. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Probably there are dates on the neck and in the neck pocket on the body, but if you can get the serial number, we can get pretty close on dates.

5. todd 4ta

todd 4ta

Apr 3, 2003
    Indiana
    I have a mid-'85 EB Stingray, one of the very first EB's that were made. I paid around $730. Mine is:

B022441..Neck 18 Jun 1985. Body 10 Jun 1985

To me, the 'real' pre-EB stingrays are the '76-'78 models. I have a '76 now, and I've had three '77s. They were all incredible, everything you would want in a pre-EB stingray tonewise.

From what I've heard, after '78 there was more variation in preamps and you almost have to try it out to see if you like it. There are plenty of excellent ones out there (I have yet to play any stingray that wasn't great), but it can be more hit or miss for the '79 to '84 models.

It's pretty well documented that there are many non-sequential discrepancies in stingray serial numbers, they tend to jump around. Here is some other pre-EB info from the early 80's:

B023234..early 80's.
    B025279..early 80's.
    B025462..Dec/Dec 1982.
    B025511..early 1980's.
    B025548..1982.
    B025718..Jan/Jan 1983.

I would guess the value of the one you're looking at to be from $700-$1000 depending on year, condition, original finish. It's hard to say without knowing the dates.

6. Thanks, guys. This one will be arriving at tonight's gig, so I'll be able to both play it and check out the S/N's.

:D

7. The S/N is B022248.

It plays OK, has a little too much relief for me. I didn't play it through my rig at the gig due to time constraints, so I haven't checked out the electronics yet.

It is in great condition, no noticeable dings or play wear. Could use a good cleaning, though!

HMMMM:meh:

8. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    You should ask if you could purchase it and give it a setup, and if you still don't like it you could bring it back?

9. Do check the electronics on the bass of this age. Prefferably on your rig. Check the pots and switches.

Jure

10. Dr Dave

Dr Dave

Nov 2, 2003
    Wakefield UK
    I'll have to emigrate! You'd pay at least a grand sterling here in the UK.More,say £1250 from a dealer.That must be about 2000 US Dollars

11. Man - the electronics are really noisy! And the jack either needs rewiring or replacing. A more careful look at the neck shows that there is a little too much relief for me - truss rod adjustment required. It appears nothing has been done to this beast since it was bought other than to change the strings.

In the end I decided to pass on this one, but you might see it on another gear site for sale soon.:ninja: