Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-EB MM Sabre!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JPrisus, Jun 24, 2005.

1. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Came across one today, in good shape for a good price. LOVED the feel of it. Can't judge the tone, cause the store had ZERO bass amps (vintage guitar shop). I'm a Jazz lover... i've played some MM's and dug them, but not enough to replace my Jazz. I'm gonna see if the store will let me check out the Sabre for a few days so I can play it thru my rig. What do you guys think? if a StingRay or Sterling couldn't drag me away from my Jazz, could the Sabre? Maybe gutting the active BS and adding some coil taps to the humbuckers?

2. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I say wait a few weeks until the new models come out. Their design is supposed to correct some output flaws of the Sabre's dual humbucker design.

3. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I'm not that interested in the new models... the price on this puppy is way better than a new model, and the neck feels better than any other MM i've ever played. Plus, i kinda dig the fact that it's a pre-EB model... might sound silly, but the Leo connection adds a little mojo to me. Anyone can get a new model, but this one is kinda special. I'm hoping I can access the individual pickup coils for some fancy rewiring, get rid of the phase and bright switches and put something useful in there ;)

4. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    They can be great instruments, esp if it's in good condition. I've played a couple that had killer sound, and a few (incl one I owned briefly) that just didn't do much for me. That said, even the ones that didn't do much had a good fundamental, solid sound... just not the Musicman (esp pre-EB) Musicman sound I wanted to hear out of the bass. See if you can get a trial period... the preamp is a good amount of the sound, but no reason why you couldn't mod it to leave the sounds that you like un-touched and simply "replace" the less-than-useful settings (e.g. phase) with ones you prefer... just keep the parts and try not to do anything that's not reversible if you can avoid it.

5. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Sound like this bass has already put the move on you, bring her home!!

6. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Something about the neck just felt REALLY nice... compared it to a '70 Jazz in the same store, and there was really no comparison, Sabre hands down. Now, my '64 Jazz is a different story! But this guy might be a nice addition to the collection.

7. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Just wondering, anyone know the specs for the Sabre neck? It felt like somewhere in between a P and a J... wider spacing than aJ, not as thick around back as an old P, but not as thin as my '64 J either. Sound right? Can't wait to play it again tomorrow or Tuesday and make my decision :)

8. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Just make sure that you are honest, tell SABREna that you are already involved with JAZZmine so in the event you don't need both to keep you happy she won't be so upset when you let her go!!

9. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've got a Sabre coming at the end of the week. I've never played one, I just trust the guy I bought it from. I'm sort of ambivalent about the Stingray sound too (prefering Precisions) and I'm banking on the neck pup offering more options. I will say that I heard one at a Stanley Clarke concert (his sideman played it) about 3 years ago and have thought of buying one ever since. The biggest, deepest, baddest tone I've ever heard. It won't substitute for your jazz, but rather complement it. If it's as tough as I remember, I may in fact consider swapping out my Lakland DJ for a more refined 60's type Jazz. (Here that Will?)

10. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005

Better not be the one i found! hehe

11. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    LOL. I've dated girls like that.

12. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Tease. :D

Edit: I know its only a matter of time before GAS will get the best of you, young Skywalker.

13. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I love my pre-eb Sabre, and have yet to play a current MM that comes close to it.

14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    +1. I've since gotten rid of it (when I moved to 5 strings), but I owned a Pre-EB Sabre for much longer than two Stingrays I tried. It felt, played, and sounded better to me.

Marshall

15. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    I did it... today was the first chance i had to see it again since last week, and i grabbed it for $850 (they were asking $1000). LOVE it! Even nicer than what i remembered from last week. Neck feels like it was made for my hand. Had to raise the action a bit, i like it on the higher side. Tone is great, i'm keeping the Hi flat and a touch of extra low. Tried taking out the battery, sounded good in passive mode but the output was very low. Might try it in passive with a Sadowsky or Aguilar preamp.

Before i bought it, i drove down the road to the nearest Guit-Mart and played a couple newer EBMM Sterlings and Rays... not ONE of them came close to the neck on this puppy, and all of them were more expensive (even the used models were $999 asking). I'll post a pic as soon as I stop playing long enough. :hyper:

16. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    Great to hear, especially since mine won't arrive until Friday, but aren't you bordering on blasphemy here? :D

17. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have a '80 pre-EB Sabre as well...found it early this year. It is a deep yet crisp, killer sounding bass. Very much a stingray sound, only better.

The neck width is the same as my '72 Precision "B" width, but the front-to-back thickness is much slimmer than a P.

18. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Why...is something wrong with the preamp, or are you already sure you aren't digging it? I was not a fan of the phase switch, but otherwise, I thought the preamp sounded very good. And you'll lose some value on the bass...maybe if you don't love the stock preamp just keep it flat and run it into an outboard pre? Just my opinion, of course...ymmv.

Marshall

19. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Oh i'm digging it very much... i'm just a tireless tinker-er when it comes to sound. I wouldn't gut the electronics, just yank the battery and run the bass into an outboard preamp which i was looking into for my other bass anyway. That way I can use my Sabre and Jazz on the same gig without resetting my amp. But I love the Sabre... haven't put it down since i got home 3 hours ago, it's resting on my lap as i type right now. The most effortlessly playable bass i've ever found.