Pre-EB Music Man B00XXXX Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JRBrown, Jan 14, 2003.

1. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Let's assume I want to try one of these out. ;)
    - What do I need to know to pick a good one?
    - Were they all good? Any known duds?
    - What's the magic year?
    - What is a fair price?
    - Are they light or heavey?
    - Any known neck problems?
    - Are they worth it? Or is the current Ray-4 just as good?

Here's a pic of a 1977 to jog your memory:
  2. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Another Memory jogger:
  3. JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    This should do it:
  4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm no expert on the MusicMan but a lot of your questions relate to bass purchases, in general.

There are good ones and bad ones and many in between. I'm sure you know that anyway.

I've found that they tend to be around 9 pounds and up in weight with most leaning toward the heavy side. I don't think that there were any special years during the pre-Ernie Ball era. I would tend to think that the later ones would be better as most instruments built during the 70's suffered from quality issues. This was a pretty dark time for most manufacturers.

They are considered collectable so the value has been going up. Not the same way as the Fender Jazz and Precision. But just the same, if you get one at a decent price you should be able to get your money back out of the bass when you sell it down the road. Or at least it won't lose too much value.
  5. JR -- Not a MM "expert" either , but have played a few pre - EB basses and still own a "79 Sabre - the 2 pickup model. I've found them to be pretty consistant as far as sound and playability , of course some are better than others , but the variation doesn't seem as drastic as alot of Fenders I've played . Personally , I like the Sabre due to the variety of tones I can get from it. Never heard of a specific " magic year " for MM , I suppose it comes down to finding an instrument that works for you personally. I can't see you ever losing money on the bass , tey seem to be very much in demand by both players and collectors , and the Stingrays are in greater demand than my beloved Sabre( doesn't matter 'cause I ain't selling!) Anyway , that's my 2 cents --- hope it helps .
  6. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    I own a 79
    The craftsmanship of this bass is killer, It's a great sounding bass, I wouldn't give it up for nothing. The neck is one of the most comfortable necks I ever played.
    The magic year to have is 76 with the black epoxied preamp and the white pup cover. That's the one to have if you can find one.
    My opinion There all good even the Ernie Ball's:cool: