1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Pre-EB Stingray B00; 1976/77 with case

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Will Kelly, Mar 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    PRICE DROP This is a really killing players bass.

Body dates to December of 1976, neck dates to January of 1977. B00 serial number. Black epoxy preamp. I do not have a scale, but I would guess it to be around 10 pounds and some change, pretty light for an early Ray.

This bass has been professionally restored by Gordon Miller at GM vintage restorations. I have seen other examples of his work, and frankly they are second to none. He prices accordingly. This restoration work was undertaken by the previous owner and fellow talkbasser at tremendous expense (far more than the bass is worth). He told me it was a labor of love, and you can tell when you see and play the bass.

All the parts, pickup, pickguard, preamp etc are original save the bridge mutes and one tuner which was aged to match the others. I can't tell which one it was, but that is what I was told when I got the bass.

This bass was previously owned by Lonnie Chapin of the bands TAIT and Petra.

Somewhere, I also have a pic or two that the previous owner sent me of the bass pre-restoration. It was in very sad shape and GM Vintage really did an amazing job on this bass.

The neck feels fantastic. Truss rod works flawlessly. Arrow straight. The frets are low, but even, and overall the bass plays easily and sounds great. Strung with TI flats.

I was never going to sell this... this is a lifetime bass, but I have a cross country move staring me in the face and a new home purchase at the end of it, so I must let this one go.

I am asking [DEL]$2300 shipped and insured via paypal[/DEL]$1900, and it will ship in a new Fender Tweed G&G case.

I am not interested in taking any kind of trades unless they net me at least a thousand dollars. Example... I might take a new stingray, plus a thousand dollars. Please, no amps, cabs or any pointy basses or those with more than 4 strings.

Thanks!

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

2. ctufankjian

ctufankjian

Sep 28, 2007
    Vermont
    Endorsing Artist: Unicornbass.se
    This is an absolute gem at a terrific price!

:D

3. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    gah...can't see the pics from my work computer. bet it's a beauty though.

4. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    So was the "mojo" acquired naturally or was it "pre-weathered" as part of the restoration?

In any event, it's a nice one. Good luck... sorry you have to let her go.

5. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
  6. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Chicago
    You mention it was in sad shape, what was wrong with the bass before the restoration and what exactly was done to it to restore it (beside the relic work)?

7. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    The bass was purchased in the mid-1990's from a store in Nashville for Lonnie Chapin. At the time, it had been stripped to bare wood and "coated" in lacquer with a brush. It had then been hung to dry someplace dirty, as the lacquer had dirt and dust in it.

Here are the only pics I have of it pre-restoration. It is also pictured next to its brother, another 76 Ray that the previous owner owned. Can you tell which is which? :D
    [​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

8. Sleepwalker42

Sleepwalker42 Supporting Member

Dec 30, 2008
    Chicago
    Excellent job indeed!

9. FellowBass

FellowBass Bass Player Extraordinaire. OK, just ordinaire.

Jan 22, 2011
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Pardon me while I go sell a kidney. And one of my firstborn son's kidneys.

Not to mention I actually like Petra. Man what a find!!

10. funk7856

funk7856 Supporting Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Atlanta
    what a gorgeous 'burst!

11. trey le parc

trey le parc Triplets

Dec 4, 2008
    Southern California
    Partner at Bass San Diego.
    Previous owner here...the neck is exactly as it was when I acquired it, so all the "mojo" has been genuinely acquired, as far as I know. Aside from the refinish, and the replaced tuning gear, it's all original-- even the melted string mutes. Gord also mimicked Leo's habit of only using 3TS on the visible part of the guitar-- beneath the pick guard it's a 2 color burst.

When I first received it back from Gord, the wear of the body didn't really match the wear of the neck so I sent it back to Gord and he nicked it up a little more for me. All in all the project took the better part of a year.

12. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    will is a great guy to deal with. you can expect his stuff to be even better than he gives it credit for in his description.

13. someparts

someparts

Nov 22, 2010
    Ohio
    Reasonable price if you've been to a guitar show lately!

14. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    thanks J!

15. Edgar

Edgar

Nov 4, 2000
    Montreal, QC, CA
    Wow, I have a mint Mark Levinson 383 to unload, if I manage to do so before this baby gets a new home, It's a done deal.

Gorgeous!

16. shrigg

shrigg Beta Tester for AudioKinesis Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Traverse City, MI
    That's one nice refin!

17. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Pmd

18. bassman28

bassman28 Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2010
    North Carolina
    Here's body photos.The bird's-eye neck was installed after these pics.I will get you pics with maple neck this afternoon.

19. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    To address several PM's about it: Yes, I will ship internationally, at the purchasers expense. Thank you!

20. Will Kelly

Will Kelly

Mar 3, 2010
    TX
    !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.