Pre EB Stingray.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Spike, Apr 25, 2001.

1. I been offered an ‘83 Stingray non-string through body in well-used condition.
    Neck and frets are ok, but body has dings and scratches.

Anyone know roughly what an ’83 pre Ernie would be worth?
    It is Tobacco Sunburst with a Rosewood board.

The Guy wants my mint Stingray 5 plus is willing to give me £270 ($388) on top.

I have to make a quick decision on this, so any advice will be apreciated.

2. Have you played it? How's the sound? It's probably worth no more than $1000. I'd keep the 5 and look for a string though pre-EB instead.
  3. I wouldn't necessarily get caught up in the pre EB thing. If you're happy with your SR5 I'd hang onto it. If you're really in the market for a used "classic" instrument, I'd say save up for one.

(I just don't like to see folks part with their stingrays!) :)
  4. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Spike keep the 5, The early 80's were'nt the best years for the Pre Ernie stinrays, The company was in the middle of changing hands. I have a 77 pre Ernie thats strung through the body and she was worth the wait. Save your money and look for a nice pre 1980 stingray for that vintage Ray vibe.
  5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've never played a 80's PRe EB. It it plays good & everything seems OK (neck, electronics, etc) I'd go for it. if he willing to give you an extra £270 for it, I think it well worth it. But The mid 70's are great. I had a '76 maple, vintage S/B & I regret selling it as soon as it left my hands. I did buy my first car w/the money though. I still miss that bass. :(
  6. Thanks Guys,

Dilemma, I’ve been trying to sell The Ray 5 for a couple of months since I got my Sadowsky, with not even one call.
    I would be getting this pre Ray for £500 if I do the part ex deal and thought it was probably worth easily that, but don’t know too much about pre EB.

7. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Spike that is a great deal especially since you are trying to sell the Stingray 5 anyway that changes things. I thought you were torn between the two.
    I think you would have a easier time selling the 83 if you didn't like it. so what the hey. Bass Palace was selling a mint 82 sunburst maple for $1295 and I think they still have a few you can check out, Bob is the bass guru and they are really cool to deal with.
    The 80's Pre ernies are not bad basses it's just the 70's models rule and the one you are looking at is definitely worth the trade if it's in good shape.
  8. Thanks Funkster,

Needed someone to tell me that.
    Just about to phone the Guy and tell him he has a deal.

Is there any way to tell the difference between a late pre, and an early EB without looking at the neck stamp? (People sometimes take offence when you take their basses apart) :D

I think '84 was the first EB. Don't want to make a mistake here.

9. Hi Spike,

I've played Funkster's pre-EB (it's a 77 right Henry?) and I picked up a 78 a few weeks ago. The main thing is in 1980 they changed from the string through body/bridge combo to non-string through. At some point they also changed from a 3 bolt neck to a 6 bolt as well but I'm not sure if that was after EB bought MM.

Hope this helps!
  10. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Hi Spike unfortunately there is no way to tell the real date of a MM without pulling off the neck.
    I believe it was mid 1984 when MM finally sold out to EB.
    Funny I have the same kind of story about getting my MM. I had a 96 beautiful honeyburst EB MM that I loved. My guitar player walked in one night with the infamous MM teardrop case and said here check this out my buddy needs some cash and he's selling this, It was the 77. I had to dump a bass I really loved to have it but it was way worth it.
    I Have played Zoomboy's 78 and he bought his from BassPalace and Bob pulls the necks of both MM and Fenders before he sells them just make sure, so Jeff yours is a 78.
    I was told in the DudePit that my 77 might be a 78 because MM didn't start putting the serial number on the bridge until 78. Now I'm curious, the next time I change my strings I'm pulling the neck off to make sure. The bass is so nice though it wouldn't matter what year it was I still would have bought it.
    I hope this helps a little Spike,
    Check out the DudePit they have a MM guru and a little section dedicated to MM.
  11. Thanks again Funkster & Zoomboy,

The Dudepit was down for an upgrade yesterday, but I did get a question in late last night and it got answered a short time ago. Been there since the beginning as MikeSpike1. Also Mike B Kindly mailed me a short time ago.

Just spoke to the Guy with the ’83 and he is coming down on Sunday.
    I’ve done a few deals with him over the years, and he promises me that it is a pre EB. Also he’s a University professor, so I think I can trust him.

He said he would do a staight swap with a ’77 he has, but it needs a re-fret plus the truss rod is at its full adjustment, reckons it would need a couple of hundred pounds spending on it, so I will go with the ’83 and cash back deal.

Many thanks for you all helping me out,

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I think that one of the reasons Music Man is still competitive in today's market is that the only thing Ernie Ball did was take over management, and left production pretty much unchanged. Sure, they've added models like the 5 and the Sterling, but they're subtle updates, which do not necessarily make the older model obsolete. It's a Precision/Jazz sorta thing. you go with what works for you.

Fender, on the other hand, has diluted its designs into so many lesser models, it has hurt Fender's rep as a producer of pro gear, meaning you can't be a pro and pick up any Fender off a shelf, which is pretty much the case with Music Man. Then again, if Fender didn't make the lower-end copies, someone else would, and would cash in at Fender's expense. It's all about corporate strategy.

Will C.:cool:
  13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cool bass, dude! It's just like Pino Palladino's except his is fretless and has a string through the body bridge.

Will C.:cool:
  14. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    Spike that is one nice looking bass!!!! How she sound through the rig? I would love to find a nice pre ernie with a rosewood board... Nice deal..
  15. Thanks Funkster & Big Wheel.

Haven’t gigged with it yet, got to wait until Saturday.
    My Ashdown rig is in our lockup, but it sounds great at home though my Hartke 3500 and Mesa cab, lucky I've got good neighbours.

I got a really good deal on this bass, although I wish it was an earlier string though body.
    I wonder why they changed them before the Ernie Ball take-over. Still I'm not complaining. :D

I need two new grub screws for the bridge height saddles, as a previous owner has put bottom loaded height restictors on one side of the E & D saddles. I don't think this could be standard. Unfortunately the EB screws have a different thread. No real problem as it has a great action, but I would like to put it back to standard.

BTW, I phoned the UK agent for Music Man and they dated it from the s/no B023337 to June '82.
  16. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Spike! You lucky dog. First you have that beautiful Sadowsky and now that incredible looking Stingray.I hope she sounds great.

I've never really been a fan of the Stingray but that one, you just got, could probably sway me over. Congratulations.

I really don't think that through the body is going to make that much difference over through the bridge. At least not too much on a 4 string.

I think that you did great. I get first shot if you ever think you want to get rid of it, please.
  17. Thanks Jerry,
    I'll add you to the list, :D but I think that just maybe I'm going to hang onto this one.
    Deals like this don't come up very often.