Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-EB Stingrays

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Angus, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Just a quick question...

What was the first year the Stingray went into production? I could've sworn it was '76, but I noticed someone had a "1975 Stingray", and I've never heard of another that old. For any Stingray experts, what was the first year?

Thanks!

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    doesn't "i want bass" have a 1975 Stingray? why don't you ask him?

[​IMG]

3. The first year of production for the Musicman Stingray was 1976.

4. My 20th Anniversary was made in ’96, so that would make the first year ’76.

I found this on the Music Man forum.

Leo worked out an arrangement with the Music Man company in designing and building electric guitars and basses for their already established amplifier company....this was around December 1974.

They designed all the instruments, and had to make all the tooling and dies to build them. Designing new pickups, etc. The first shipment of instruments was made to Music Man on Wednesday, June 23, 1976. Within 2 years, MM instruments had gained recognition and popularity in both the US and abroad.

5. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I had an original MM Sting Ray bass & it is the only bass I regret selling. I didn't know that the 1st year of production was 1976 which depresses me even more because my bass was a '76.[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Here's a bit of 'Ray blasphemy for ya: I PREFER the Ernie Ball Stingrays to the pre-83 basses! For one thing, the current 6 bolt neck is much more stable than the old 3 bolt, the truss rod adjustment at the base of the neck is the best around and WAY better than the old bullet trussrod adjustment and the 3-band EQ is an improvement, too. Add to that Ernie Ball's excellent quality control and the fact that the pickups are essentially the same, I'll take an EB anyday over a vintage one. And I LOVE the 'Ray 5, too!

7. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Alright, thanks everyone! That's what I thought! :D

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    i was told thats what year mine was. i never researched it tho. i appologize.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I'm fairly sure I've seen one on ebay that I thought was bull, too...maybe I'll look it up. That was actually what I was referring to, despite what DM said! But what he said was what reminded me of it.

10. Angus, are you talking about the Stingray that I showed you on ebay that has the poopy-brown color? :D

11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    HEY!!!! You poking fun @ me. :D:p

12. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    ROFL!!!:D

....and he didn't just say Brown.. he said <font color="brown"><B>Poopy Brown</b></font> :eek:

13. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Nah, it had nothing to do with the brown bass. Actually, I think that brown color was pretty cool, even if it was ugly!

14. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    Whoa! I can go on forever about these basses!But I'll try to keep it short.Dan Lakin(Lakland basses) Paul Bechtholdt(author of Danelectro and G&L books,VG author).myself,and several others were rabid Stingray collectors.
    The first basses are 8/76.Anything earlier had a Pbass pickup and was never sold.I have heard that a few were sent to Japan in July,but a Japanese dealer I know couldnt verify that for me.
    I have a 8/76 Burst with a white guard and plastic knobs.Its one of about 25.And Leo Fender scrawled his name in the neck pocket as the one who checked it. I am the original owner of a 78 Burst fretless Ebony,and I regretfully sold a 77 Silver fretless Rosewood(one of 8).
    My basses were photographed for Pauls soon to be published(I hope)book.
    The 76's had "double deep"magnets giving them a deeper bottom and clearer top.But thats a matter of taste.No matter what music I record with this bass,people flip.It goes direct to tape(its low impedance).No direct box,no EQ, nothing necessary.All you do is turn the three knobs up full and back off the treble 1/8 of a turn.Ive gotten ALOT of session work from people hearing this bass-just on four track reel to reel,and wanting that tone.
    Someone posted that they prefer the EB basses.
    I used to flip when I heard someone say that,but Ive come to realize why they do.
    The early basses had a polyester coating on the fretboard,and by now alot of them have been refretted,and the coating sanded off.This makes the bass lose all its "snap" on the high end and it just generally sounds dull.
    Also the early basses are low impedance and dont take to effects well.
    Some of them even have dead pre-amps,and the owners dont know it!
    There also seems to be a group of what I call "tonedogs" that have been circulating for about 5-6 years.I thought I saw the same basses for sale over and over,and sure enough I was right.By writing down serial numbers from sellers I found this to be true.Perhaps one of these is what he heard.
    That horrible brown was called Walnut.
    But getting back to the original question,76 was the first year.
    All that was made before that was amps.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Interesting info. re: the pre-EB Musicman basses, Gump. Thanks. Definitely sheds some light on a few issues. Your post does not, of course, address the excellence of the Ernie Ball instruments (nor does it need to). The EB's can stand on their own and compare with anything out there today and much of what yesterday had to offer.

16. MrGump

MrGump

Apr 20, 2000
    I wasnt saying the newer StingRays are bad! I think they are excellent quality instruments with a much better tone than alot of whats available today.especially for the price(G&Ls Too).I have reccomended them to others.They are however(in my opinion) excellent in a different way than the older ones.
    You mention alot of workmanship differences in your first post,but dont address tone!
    I feel the early ones are amazing,and have there own unique niche tone.
    And the newer ones are excellent(as I said) only in a different way.
    Hope this clarifies my previous post for you.