SOLD Pre Ernie Ball Musicman Sabre Bass.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jmbstudios, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jmbstudios

jmbstudios Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a Pre-EB Musicman Sabre. It has been gigged a lot over its life. Purchased very recently from the original owner who said he bought the bass in 79 or 80. But.....
    The serial number is a B0058xx which puts it before the Sabre was introduced. Yeah, it's a B00 bass as far as the bridge shows. I have not pulled the neck to check dates.
    Comes with a hard shell case that is not original.
    Original owner gigged this bass on the road for years. It is not a closet queen. Check out the pics for the condition. Some finish checking and tons of mojo. There was a brass nut installed along the way. It was a pro job. The pickguard shrunk a little and looks like it has that vintage shrunken warped wavy look. Much like my vintage J-Bass.
    The bass plays great and has that great MM sound.

Price includes shipping in the CONUS. $1550.
    Only Trades I would consider would be the right PRS Custom22 or Taylor acoustic.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm very easy to work with. Thanks. Jeff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

feschyn, woodyng2, Burwabit and 2 others like this.
  2. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Are you sure that's not C005883? Sabre Serial numbers start with #C00 not #B00 that was for the StingRay bass.

3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    The Sabre serial number is on the headstock decal.

I wouldn't sweat the bridge serial number, as the Sabre was the only instrument with that style of bridge (it got carried over to G&L, and improved further).

4. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    The 70's Sabre Bass Serial number is not on the headstock it is on the bridge only! The dates are on the body and neck.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Wood and Wire likes this.
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    :thumbsup:

Although there appears to be something looking like a serial # on that headstock (can't tell from that resolution).

6. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    That is the Music Man US PAT NO # 4002994 4046050 4031799

drums1977 and Wood and Wire like this.
  7. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Always a good sign to see an instrument in such broken in condition. When not maple, I'm familiar with fretboards being veneered on those pre-ernies (have a fretless with veneered ebony board from the factory). Not necessarily a bad thing if done after the fact but though you might be able to shed some light on the history of the slab-like looking fretboard?

8. jmbstudios

jmbstudios Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    FB is factory.

raal likes this.
  9. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Great. Makes it even more valuable as rosewood was pretty rare offering back then