SOLD Pre Ernie Ball Musicman Sabre Bass.

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by jmbstudios, Jul 8, 2019.

1. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    Price:
    Strings:
    This is a Pre-EB Musicman Sabre. It has been gigged a lot over its life. Purchased very recently from the original owner who said he bought the bass in 79 or 80. But.....
    The serial number is a B0058xx which puts it before the Sabre was introduced. Yeah, it's a B00 bass as far as the bridge shows. I have not pulled the neck to check dates.
    Comes with a hard shell case that is not original.
    Original owner gigged this bass on the road for years. It is not a closet queen. Check out the pics for the condition. Some finish checking and tons of mojo. There was a brass nut installed along the way. It was a pro job. The pickguard shrunk a little and looks like it has that vintage shrunken warped wavy look. Much like my vintage J-Bass.
    The bass plays great and has that great MM sound.

Price includes shipping in the CONUS. $1550.
    Only Trades I would consider would be the right PRS Custom22 or Taylor acoustic.

Let me know if you have any questions. I'm very easy to work with. Thanks. Jeff

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

feschyn, woodyng2, Burwabit and 2 others like this.
  2. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    Are you sure that's not C005883? Sabre Serial numbers start with #C00 not #B00 that was for the StingRay bass.

3. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    The Sabre serial number is on the headstock decal.

I wouldn't sweat the bridge serial number, as the Sabre was the only instrument with that style of bridge (it got carried over to G&L, and improved further).

4. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    The 70's Sabre Bass Serial number is not on the headstock it is on the bridge only! The dates are on the body and neck.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2019
    Wood and Wire likes this.
  5. Wood and Wire

Wood and Wire

Jul 15, 2017
    :thumbsup:

Although there appears to be something looking like a serial # on that headstock (can't tell from that resolution).

6. Thump C

Thump C

Dec 20, 2016
    That is the Music Man US PAT NO # 4002994 4046050 4031799

drums1977 and Wood and Wire like this.
  7. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Always a good sign to see an instrument in such broken in condition. When not maple, I'm familiar with fretboards being veneered on those pre-ernies (have a fretless with veneered ebony board from the factory). Not necessarily a bad thing if done after the fact but though you might be able to shed some light on the history of the slab-like looking fretboard?

8. jmbstudios

jmbstudios

Dec 4, 2001
    South AZ
    FB is factory.

raal likes this.
  9. raal

raal Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Minneapolis / St Paul
    Great. Makes it even more valuable as rosewood was pretty rare offering back then

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 2, 2021