Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray or Gibson Blackbird?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twilightcall, May 27, 2004.

1. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Hi guys. I am fairly new to the bass world. I have been playing for over one year and have played guitar for over 9 years but have been trying to learn to play bass correctly or not like a guitar player playing bass.
    Anyway, which would be a better choice a Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray Bass made around 1980 I think or the Gibson Blackbird?

The Stingrays seem to have a more trebly tone to them and the neck seems pretty thick but plays great. I haven't played a Blackbird.

Any input would be appreciated.
  2. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Thanks. I mainly play with a pick and play rock. Just thought I would add this.
  3. stingray, its not even a close contest
  4. + a billion for the Stingray.
  5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

absolutley !!! you won't regret it ....
    :bassist: :D
  6. You can roll the treble back as much as you want. Even the 2 band EQ is very flexible. That fat humbucker cannot be beat, not to mention the 'pre Ernie Ball' SR's will only appreciate in value. The'll only be able to sell it to two kinds of people: oddballs who just love them and new players, like you, who might have been caught up in the Gibson name.

Gibson guitars = awesome
    Gibson basses = ehhh :meh: (except for the Thunderbird, which is pretty cool.)

The Stingray is where it's at.
  7. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Pre-Ernie Ball Stingray

Gibson Basses are not good.
  8. twilightcall

May 27, 2004
    Ok guys. I got the StingRay. I even got the original case for it too. Since I use a pick all of the time it is a little clicky or trebly but turning down the tone knob helped. I think some of it might be in my amp too.
    I now have a Great Bass. It plays so nice too. I appreciate everyones help and input. Can anyone recommend a good set of strings for a Stingray and the size too? I am not sure what size strings are on it now but they seem too large for the guitar.
    Thanks Again for all of your help.
  9. I use DR Low Riders, .045-.105...If I could find .050-.110 I'd use those. Thicker gauge strings just make the bass feel 'tighter' to me. I'd avoid Ernie Ball strings, unless you're on a tight budget. D'addario's are pretty consistent.

I have to play Stainless steel, because I'm allergic to the Nickel in nickel-wounds.
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1 on the DRs.

I actually have the DR black beautys on mine, which sound fantastic. Nice coated strings.
  11. Congrats on getting a Stingray, Twilightcall, you did good!

If you want to tame a little bit of the treble your 'Ray produces, try Labella Deep Talkin' Bass strings. They're flatwound strings, and they'll produce more thump, and less of a biting high end to your sound. I use the light gauge set:

G - 043
    D - 060
    A - 082
    E - 104

You'll get a lot of good advice here, but the only way to really get to know how a certain set of strings sounds is to play them on someone else's bass, or to buy them yourself.

Good luck,

P.S. I also own a Stingray. ;)