Pre Ernie or Ernie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FritzM, Feb 14, 2003.

1. FritzM

FritzM Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2001
    Madison, MS
    Could I get your opinions on sound differences, playability, weight, etc? Pre Ernies aren't much more than a new one. I'm a P and J bass guy, could someone enlighten me a bit? I want to add a Stingray to my arsenal. Also, what finishes tend to be lighter in weight? And, opinions on Maple or Rosewood?

2. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    A stingray needs a MAPLE board. I like the pre-erines with the thru body stringing......very cool....
  3. amper

Dec 4, 2002
    I have to weigh in on the Ernie side. I love my Rubber Ducky. Umm, I meant my new StingRay fretless in Transparent Gold with matching headstock...

Seriously, I think the construction quality of the EB models is much nicer than any of the pre-EB's I've seen. Especially the neck.

As far as different finishes being lighter...huh? Did you meant color or mass? According to EB, they've lately been moving away from anything other than Swamp Ash, so all the colors are pretty consistent as far as mass is concerned for the later models.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I too am as impressed with the Ernies as I am with the pre-Ernies.
  5. fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    I like the string thru of the pre's , would like the option on the ernie. I have a SR5 piezo / rosewood / matching headstock and the fit and finish was excellent.
  6. i would go pre-enie; string-through, and 2-band eq.
    definitely maple board, i would say. get that bright, full sound. and i love the look of a natural stingray with a maple board, and black guard, *drool*