Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-Ernie Stingray

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by plantguy, Apr 13, 2005.

1. plantguy

plantguy

Apr 13, 2005
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I have a pre-EB Musicman Stingray that I bought cheap 15 years ago. Now Im thinking of selling it. Is there any way to tell what year it was made in and whether the preamp and other components are original? Also its developed some buzz/distortion - am I going to hurt the collector value if repairing it means I have to replace some of the original parts? Any info/opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    find your serial number, than go here and see where you serial lines up with the dates.

and yes i think you would hurt the collectors value of the instrument by replacing original parts.

3. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    Uhh, might the buzz/stortion be due to the battery?

4. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    If you unbolt the neck there will be a stamp on both the butt-end of the neck and the neck pocket of the body. Is it 3-bolt or 4-bolt neck? The serial #'s in the website linked above will help you out too...mine's in there, C006042

Pre EB preamps have been known to go out. But I would just sell it with the original parts.

5. plantguy

plantguy

Apr 13, 2005
    Atlanta, Georgia
    I wish it was the battery, but even I knew to check that first. Ive got it in the shop right now to diagnose the problem, havent decided if Ill let them do anything to it. Its a 4-bolt neck and I remember the serial # begins with B02 - looking at the other serials #s on the web site I would bet its an early-80s.

6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Sounds like it's somewhere around a 81-83 to me. I almost bought an '83 that had a B02 serial a couple months ago.

I was told Ernie Ball had a replacement preamp available for the early basses. If you did that just so the bass works, still save the original piece for the next owner.

7. plantguy

plantguy

Apr 13, 2005
    Atlanta, Georgia
    octopus - sent you a pm then had computer glitch, not sure it went through. let me know if you didnt get it