1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

pre fender swr vs fender swr

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bass_extremes, Mar 27, 2006.

1. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    Hey everyone I heard that last year sometime fender bought swr. At school im playing through an workingman's 4004 and a workingmans 2X10 and im really diggin it. At my local music store they have a workingmans 2X10 combo that im thinking about getting but what I wondering is does the amp after fender bought them sound worse or is there a difrence in quality? When I heard that fender was buying swr I heard that they wouldnt sound as good as the originals.

2. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have a pre-Fender SWR 350X. I have played on the Fender SWR 350X and cannot hear a difference. I have not looked inside one but if it is the same as the one I have it is of impecable quality. I have not really studied the workingman series though.

3. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    i think people need to just play ti more and not even look at the brand or the name. great tings fall apart, and sometimes 'junk' sounds great and lasts forever.

i am a proud swr user. i love my workingpro 400 :)

4. cabcreaser

cabcreaser Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    I think Fender kept SWR pretty much intact (for instance, the same factory, designs, etc.). The only complaint I have heard regarding the new ownership was that it takes longer to get replacement parts now that Fender is in control than it did back in the pre-Fender days.

5. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I don't think there is any quality difference whatsoever. I think the fender take over has been a good thing for SWR, alowing them to put more time and money into product research and delevopment. I think the WorkingPro Series blows the older WorkingMan Series away. I think it was a very smart move by SWR to go this direction, strictly from a business point of view.

6. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    xgabriel what do you think makes the workingpro so much better? and how does everyone else feel about the workingpro compared to teh workingman?

7. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    the workingpro. is 100 tiems better. wquality is up, everything feels solid and great. the sound is much more clean, and articulate.

the bassintensifier is a very useful feature in my opinion.

i se it to hear myself in small places where i cant cut as well. its like an automatic monitor.

now i just need a nice compressor to throw in the rack and ill b good.

any ideas?

8. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    well im think that dbx makes some good comperssors but im just guessing. I myself have been wanting to get a comperssor.

9. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    The only difference I noticed was the missing SWR shield on the dustcap of the Son of Bertha. Aside from that, most anyone who condemns the post-Fender products just hates Fender to begin with. No good can come of reviewing the same gear with a biased opinion.

10. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    anyone else

11. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

If it's the SWR Workingman's 2x10C combo that you are talking about, I cannot say enough good things about it. Especially at the price that I grabbed it at. It's been closed out, discontinued and replaced by the Workingpro 2x10C at almost twice the price I got mine for.

It's very versatile and has everything that I need for small gigs and practices. 400 Watts at 4ohm with my Son of Bertha extension. Very nice.

Plus, I have installed a Tech21 RBI into the open slot in the amp and connected it through the effects loop. I can now either have the sound of the SWR pre, the Tech21 pre, or mix them via the EFX Blend knob. Very nice and offers tons of different sounds out of a small, portable amp.

I'm happy with it, as you can probably tell. I haven't played the "old" SWR, except for a Baby Blue head (which was also fantastic), so I cannot tell you what was better. It works for me.

I'm not a tube head either, so that might be a little bit of it also. I tend to prefer what we used to call a "modern" sound, but which would now be considered "vintage 80's"... :)

12. bass_extremes

bass_extremes

Jul 9, 2005
    yeah at school I play a workingmans 4004 and the workingmans 2X10 the thats the same thing as the 2X10c the only think I think it need is a 15 under the 10's

13. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    There is a difference in the design of the amps. Here's why; I own a Pre-Fender SM-900 (Red Logo) that has a volume fluxuation problem and I brought it to a authorized Fender/SWR repair center. The tech that looked at my amp has 15+ years of audio experience and he could not figure out what was causing my amp to malfunction. So he had SWR send some replacement parts but to find out they don't fit. This was because the Post-Fender SWR amps use a different and more cost effective circuit board and components which in-turn made the amp have a different configuration inside the chassis. The repairman called SWR to get the right parts and they told him that SWR does not stock the Pre-Fender components and they were not able to get the correct parts to fix my amp. Then SWR gave the repairman the phone# to the former head tech of the original SWR and he said that he could fix the amp but it might involve rebuilding the circuit board and could cost anywhere between $300-$550 to repair plus shipping it to Calif. I have had the amp for over 5 years and since the warranty is out there was no reason for me to get this one fixed. I am only going by what the repairman told me.:crying:

14. Triclops

Triclops Guest

Jan 14, 2006
    man that sucks! gotta watch that warranty stuff!

15. sevenorchids

sevenorchids Supporting Member

I absolutely agree with you that there is a difference between the old pre-Fender SWR and the SWR of today. There is no doubt that circuit board changes and more "cost effective" (cheaper) parts will have a difference in the sound of the amp when compared against the same model built before the switch. But you also point out one of the problems with owning old gear...higher maintenance costs. A lot of that stuff is like owning an analog (tape) multitrack recorder. Sounds great, once you learn to maintain it and find a tech that can fix it for less than the cost of getting one in the first place and learn how to bias it and clean it and keep it happy.

My only point was that what I received works for me, it isn't a load of crap that will fall apart if I sneeze, and it gets me the sound and volume that I require in my daily life. Obviously, I'm not playing arenas with this thing. I'm also not going to compare it to an SM-900 or a Thunderfunk or an Epifani or any of the other things out there that are (admittedly) "better" than my setup. But, if it works for me, it might work for someone else and, at the price you can pick these things up for, I would hate for someone to pass just because a company that has been in business for 60 years makes it as opposed to the company that was in business for 20-some years...

16. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Does anyone know an easy way that I can tell whether my SM900 is pre or post Fender? I bought it last year but got it cheap as it was distributor's old stock and had been sitting in a warehouse corner for quite a while. It could be 1 year old or 5+ years old - is there an easy way to tell whether it was Fender manufactured?

17. I think that the negative stuff about swr these days has a lot to do with the fact that they just aren't cutting edge anymore, but I think they are still decent amps. In the early to mid 90's swr was really unique, I had a couple of them and loved them. But these days there are different companies creating new unique amps/cabs, and many feel that other companies do the hi-fi thing better then swr these days.

18. mettec

mettec

Aug 22, 2005
    Minneapolis
    Look on the back of the amp. I believe If you see any markings that say FMIC (Fender Musical Instrument Corp.) printed anywhere on the chassis, it is a Post-Fender model. Also look at the manual ( if you got one) And if that manual has FMIC on the copyright or back page then again it's a Post-Fender. I don't have mine here as I write this but also see if it was made in Calif (Pre) or Arizona (Post) That is all I can tell you right now.