Pre Gibson or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 73jbass, Mar 27, 2018.

1. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    Have a Tobias 6 string that I got a while back under the impression it was a pre Gibson. Someone with first hand knowledge please help. Serial 1692.

Attached Files:

2. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    S/N 1692 would have been built by Mike's original crew in the Burbank shop after the Gibson buyout. We still refer to these basses as Pre-Gibson, even though Gibson owned the company at the time. Pre- Gibson refers to any bass after S/N 2044, when production was moved to Nashville.

FWIW, the Nashville shop produced some very fine basses, even though things went on the rocks with the relationship with Mike; testimony to the strength of his designs.

Lownote38 likes this.
  3. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    A dealer is saying that it isnt a Pre Gibson,and it was built by Gibson people under Mike Tobias supervision. But,according to the MTD website,

Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias Guitars, all basses created up until the last Los Angeles Tobias/ Gibson bass (serial number 2044) were hand built by the original Tobias team. While Michael Tobias left Tobias Guitars in December of 1992 and served as a consultant for Gibson during the early stages of Tobias Nashville operations, the first production of instruments from Tobias Guitars in Nashville consisted of around 60 basses that were neither numbered nor completed by any member of the Los Angeles Tobias Guitars team.

4. Red Planet

Red Planet Inactive

May 29, 2005
    Atlanta
    I'm cranky in my old age.
    That bass was made by Mike Tobias and his merry band of Luthuers in Burbank California. Many peeps at dealers tgese dont know their hole in the ground frome a donkey .

5. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Central Ohio
    I see. The dealer is technically correct from the business perspective, but also incorrect from a market perspective. Hard to know if they are being purposely ignorant without f2f. From an instrument valuation standpoint, the dealer is 100% wrong.