Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-Gibson Tobias at Southfield, MI GC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, May 15, 2004.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Went to GC just to buy an XLR cord (c'mon, you've used that excuse before). Got to play a Geddy Lee for the first time. Nice. Then I saw it.

Tobias #1277. Five string neck thru, Zebrawood top and back, 9 piece neck, predominantly wenge on the neck, I think.

They have it tagged at $3,499.99. I offered them $2,500. They countered $3,000 out the door. I walked. But I told them I would come back in 2 weeks and make them the same offer. We'll see.

In the meantime, if anyone's looking for a really nice pre-Gibson Tobias, there it is. It is physically flawless. I didn't find any chips or dings. Somebody please save me from myself and buy this bass.

Peace,

James

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds very close to mine - which is #1274 and also has a zebrawood top - I paid about £1700 ($2,974.49 - according to an online currency converter) , but prices in the UK are way higher than the US generally and especially for US-made instruments.

3. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Bruce,

Post a picture of yours if you can. Interesting to see how close they are. The thing plays like a dream. Best bass I have ever played at a GC. That goes back to the days that the eastside store carried Zon.

If for some reason they end up taking my $2,500 offer, I'll probably need to part with one of my Hanewinckels to keep the herd under control. That will be a difficult day and a difficult decision. I need to have a fretless, so logic says keep that one. My fretted 6 has Nathan East's signature on it and I'd hate to part with it for just that reason, though with my Alembic 5 and my Marchlewski 5, it is the most redundant.

Peace,

James

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - that's why I bought mine - fantastic playability!! It was hidden away at the back of the Bass Centre, but when I tried it, I had to buy it and traded in my RB5 although I liked that bass - the Tobias was just so good!!

I've got some pics on a photo CD somewhere - I'll try to find it over the next week...:)

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Used to own this one. 6 string #854. Sold it pretty quickly on Ebay for $2500, FYI. Just over a year ago.

[​IMG]

6. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Please check with me prior to offering it elsewhere, James. Por favor. ;)

7. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

I would. But as fickle fate would have it, I wound up back at GC today. Took my fretted Hannie in with me. I A/Bed them through a Mesa combo amp. Can't remember which model. There really wasn't that big a difference between them. I mean, they had different tones, but I'd be hard placed to say that one CLEARLY sounded better than the other. As I pondered that for a while, I realized that the Tobias sounded MUCH better yesterday when I first ran across it. Yesterday I played it through an Ampeg combo. Now I'm thinking the Ampeg contributed significantly to the wonderful tone I got out of the Tobias. Don't get me wrong, it is still a great playing bass. Just that yesterday I thought it was hands down a better bass than my Hanewinckels and approaching the tone and feel that I get with my Alembics. Today I don't feel that way.

My Hannies are staying put. I've cooled my jets on the Tobias. It's a great bass and just amazing to look at, but since it would only be a slight improvement over my Hannies, I'll take a pass.

I didn't get a chance to A/B them with the Ampeg. Somebody else was test driving the amp and considering buying it. I had a rehearsal to get to, which is why the Hannie was with me in the first place.

Peace,

James

8. Thombass

Thombass Guest

Dec 17, 2003
  9. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Yeah, MTDs are really nice basses, but keep in mind, this is not one of the MTD basses like in your link. This is one of the original Tobias basses, before Gibson took over the operation.

Peace,

James

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Hmm, I might have seen that same bass too, didn't play it though. I played a Zon 5-string they had instead, man what an amazing bass. One of those Classic Sonus' with the pickguard, too bad it was a 5-string. Still if it was a 4 I would have bought it, perfect tone for me.

11. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Wow, you guys sound like you have a great GC back there. Ours sucks out here. No Zon's, no Tobias'.....just the usual worst of the bunch of low end Fenders and load of Warwicks that weigh in at over 14 pounds each. They use to have a few nice Pedulla's but those got sold and they filled the empty spaces with OLP's.

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    Ohh there's mostly crap at the guitar center I go to, which is in Roseville. Mostly cheap beater basses, I have played a Pedulla, Zon, and Spector there though, so I'd say pretty sweet line-up. Noboby has bought the Zon though, people in Southeastern Michigan, buy that bass it's AWESOME!!!