Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre Gibson Tobias Basic fretless 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by embellisher, Jan 16, 2001.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

What about this Basic fretless 5 for around $1700?

Is that a good price?

How does this compare to a fretless Lakland 55-94?

I have never even played a Pre Gibson Tobias, but have heard great things about them.

[​IMG]

2. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hmmmm....

makes me feel like a bulldog watching this picture...

*bloop bloop bloop*

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Jeff (no more E-belli, eh? ;) )-

If indeed that is a true pre-Gibson Tobias, that is a very good deal, and an incomparable instrument. Mike T made/makes some of the best basses I've ever put my grubby mitts on, bar none. Certainly one I'd personally choose over any of the others you've looked at.

4. embellisher

I still live up to my username, Gard ;) but I though it might be a little more personable to put my name in my signature.

Much to the chagrin of my bandmates, I will always be Embellisher! :D

I know that the pre Gibsons are almost like a Stradivarius(or would that be Carl Thompsons?) but I have never had the fortune to play one.

I do know that the bass would probably never be worth less than what I payed for it, but if I loved it, that would probably never matter - I would probably never entertain the thought of selling it.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Well then, it sounds like you may have found the "deal" you're looking for. You're quite right, those basses do not lose value, so you should easily be able to recoup your investment, should you not care for the bass (I'd be surprised, but it could happen :eek: ). And if you do love it, then you got a steal: A bass you love for a good price.

6. Pre Gibson Tobias' are becoming quite collectable from what I can see. Go for it dude.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Jeff, what's the serial number of that bass? If it's below #2044 it's a pre-Gibson and that's a bargain price for it? I could only guess at how it sounds but I'd be surprised if it was sub-standard. I have two pre-G's and they're stellar instruments. My five is a 34" scale and has an excellent B. Between the 3 band EQ and the Bartolini humbuckers you have lots of tonal variants available.

As long as it's in good shape it looks like a great deal. If you don't like it chances are you could sell it and make money immediately.

Let me know if you don't want it;)

8. embellisher

Brad, I am waiting on the person who told me about the bass(it is not his) and forwarded the photo to send me the email address of the person who has it for sale.

The serial number is the first thing I was going to ask him for, and thanks for answering the next question I would have had beforehand!:D

Apparently you have some psychic ability;), maybe that's how you manage to get such great deals on gear!

By chance, are either of your's fretless?

9. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    No. I did receive an unlined fretless 5 from Mike a couple of years after I had the '84 5 string built, didn't really like the color (hindsight tells me I was a doofus) so I sent it back. Before I got a chance to get another one some personal problems went into overdrive and I had to put gear on the back burner for a few years. Sad but true.

In the meantime prices went up and I couldn't justify the much higher price to myself. Not that they weren't worth the price, if any basses were, they were.

10. embellisher

Well, Brad, there are a few guys out there selling theirs for between $1400 - $2000. I just wish I already had my cash in hand!

Let me ask another question - this for $1700 or an MTD 535 6 months old for $2100?

I know the MTD's are bolt ons, but still awesome basses.

How do they compare with the pre Gibson ones?

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The MTDs are very nice and have a sound of their own... I'm not even sure how to describe it..."Big" comes to mind. The ones that I've played that I've really liked have had the Wenge necks.

They're different from the original Tobiases but still sound great in their own way. I haven't played an MTD fretless yet, just haven't come across one.

I for one prefer bolt-ons, generally speaking. Less fundamental, more bark;)

$1400 for a pre-Gibson Tobias is pretty cheap. Unfortunately for Tobias owners in general the name has been diluted by the later basses. They look very similar to the originals and some (a small few IMO)even play well and sound good.

Which to choose? Beats me. I have no idea which way the value could go on either. I didn't buy mine as investments but they turned out pretty well. Kind of moot because I don't plan on getting rid of either Tobias.

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    BTW that sounds extremely cheap for a newer MTD 6. Then again the in-demand boutique basses seem to be fives.

13. embellisher

Sorry for the confusion, Brad. It is a 535, which is a five string, and is used, about 6 months old.:)

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'd certainly agree with this - I'd always liked the look of Tobias basses, but was certainly "blown away" when I actually got to try a pre-Gibson model in the Bass centre in London. I knew staight away I had to buy it and on the saem day I had tried out just about every other "big-name" 5-string bass there is - Lakland, Sadowsky, Wal, Tune, etc, etc.

I got it to play and use as my main instrument, but the Bass Centre have since told me that they have had several enquiries about buying it after I took it away, so re-sale value isn't a problem over here and you could always sell a pre-Gibson Tobias to somebody in the UK for double what you pay in the US!

15. Serafim

Serafim

Nov 15, 2009
    i don't see any pictures of the bass

16. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel
    maybe it has to do with the fact this is an almost 9 years old thread.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yep that was long ago - I have since sold the bass I was talking about - but did actually get more than I paid for it! As I predicted in this thread!! :)