1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SOLD Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5 Zebrawood bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by lamarjones, Dec 15, 2016.

1. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Price:
    Strings:
    I believe this is a 1992 Tobias Classic, serial 2033. It's listed as Pre-Gibson, but there is the notion that Pre-Gibson means Mike T's crew built it, and also the notion that Pre-Gibson means before Gibson got involved at all making this bass a post-Gibson, pre-Nashville. Personally, for the longest time the latter distinction wasn't used commonly because it matters much less, I'll always use the first term meaning but clarifying that here.

This bass is in very nice shape for it's age but definitely was no closet queen. There is sime slight wear near where the neck meets the body, a little coloration on the fingerboard (the board shows some wetness as the pics were taken right after cleaning), and a little discoloration on the back of the body. Some really minor nicks but for the most part it's very clean and the top is mostly ding free. On the back there is a knot in the wood, this has always been there and nothing is wrong. It's setup very low right and plays awesomely. A little fretwear but not affecting anything with plenty of life left, no buzzing. The pre is an 18v ntmb pre. Sounds the same. Overall one of the cleaner original Tobiases I've had.

The original hardshell case is included. 3100 paypal shipped.

Edit: FYI, I just located a TCT from an old sadowsky, and it will come with this bass. Feel free to put it back as it was meant to be, but don't think you really need it.

tz1.
    tz2.
    tz3.
    tz4.
    tz5.
    tz6.
    tz7.
    tz8.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  2. leurw

leurw Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2015
    Chicago western burbs
    Beautiful.

3. goes to 11

goes to 11 Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    almost positive I once owned this Tobias. Boy she is real puurrtyy.

4. DerekG

DerekG Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I have no relationship with the seller, but this is likely an AWESOME bass. I spec'd and had Mike build a Tobias zebra-wenge-alder C5 with a serial number about 6 months earlier than this one. Mine has a birdseye neck, otherwise identical to this bass. I've owned a lot of basses in my day including Roscoe, Ritter, Lakland, Fender and I still have many of them. But my zebra C5 will never leave my stable. Incredibly versatile tonally and more balanced tonally that the popular bubinga-topped Tobias', IMHO. Someone will be a very lucky and happy owner of this bass.

5. scubaduba

scubaduba Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    No such thing as a bad one built by the man himself. Mr. Tobias knows how to make 'em. Nice bass!

EdwardofHuncote and leurw like this.
  6. GOTBASS2016

GOTBASS2016 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Houston Tx
    Can you add a picture of the electronics?

7. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Here you go

Attached Files:

8. GOTBASS2016

GOTBASS2016 Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Houston Tx
    Thank you..FYI thats an 18volt NTMB pre Not'Original for Pre- gibson models.Original is 9volt TCT

9. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Thanks for the info, I do appreciate it!

10. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    I like my Tobias Classic 5. Just a nice well balanced axe.
    Have a Tobias Basic 5 too.
    Can't go wrong with a Tobias.
    GLWTS

11. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    FYI, I just located a TCT from an old sadowsky, and it will come with this bass.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
  12. BASSPLAYERS4HIM

BASSPLAYERS4HIM

Oct 13, 2011
    Maryland
    What's the string spacing for this bass?

13. lamarjones

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I believe they are 17mm.