SOLD Pre Gibson Tobias Classic 5

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by kokorollc, Jan 13, 2015.

1. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Price:
    $3600
    Strings:
    I've been back and forth quite a bit on selling this one. I've had several of these and this has been my favorite. The neck is unreal. All original. Excellent condition. Sound is amazing with original TCT preamp. I am still open to limited trades that include Ken Smith BT5, F bass VF, Pedulla MVP 5, Sadowsky NYC. Sale price is $3600 shipped no paypal. Happy to answer questions or post pictures. This one is signed by Mike Tobias on the back of the headstock. My MTD 535 has been my main gigging bass and this is too good to just sit as a collector piece.

Attached Files:

2. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Wow! I'm amazed at the response for this bass. Good to know that the bass community recognizes the unique quality that Mike's early basses have. Just to answer some questions for everyone, this bass is in excellent condition for 1990-1991. I've had several preGibs and this is really in beautiful shape. It has very minor moisture pitting under the clear oat in a few spots. Very common to the finishing process of the time/place. Had some wear along the body edges/bottom. Front and back are clean. One of the best I've seen. I will dig up some pics or add new ones to show this. Only reason I was looking to move it was the guy I bought it from was tempting me with an early Ken Smith BT5. Another great bass from this era. Now I've got the bug to try something else. This bass is truly special but I hate having instruments that I don't play in regular gig rotation. It's too good to sit. Funny thing is, you can still order any Fodera, Smith, Alembic, Pedulla, etc. All the money in the world won't get one of these built for you. Sure, Gibson might, but Mike T prolly doesn't want the legal headache.

Attached Files:

3. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    I'm lovin' it

Attached Files:

4. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wow, major GAS-inducing bass man! I've been looking for years for one of these but it's just not a good time for me to be buying a bass right now...I hope you sell it but won't be heartbroken if it's still for sale when I have the funds! Now my Sadowsky has to try to convince me to let her stay.

Bump-bump-bump it up!

5. NeckPickup

NeckPickup Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2011
    Boca Raton, FL
    I tried to find some specs on these on the web but was not able to. So the usual questions: neck width @ nut, string spacing @ bridge (17.5?), weight? Awesome piece!

Adam Wright likes this.
  6. lalo_garcia-maynez

lalo_garcia-maynez Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2014
    What's the serial number ?

7. lalo_garcia-maynez

lalo_garcia-maynez Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Serial number ???

8. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Sorry. This bass has been traded. It it #17** though.

9. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    And yes. These are 17.5 mm at bridge and 1.75 nut. Very thin front to back asymmetric profile. Mike Tobias carves the best necks ever.

10. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Still available. Trade deal fell through.

11. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Available for sale or will consider trade for Ken Smith BT5, F bass, Fodera

Attached Files:

12. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Still available or sold?

13. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Still available.

14. JordanN

JordanN

Sep 25, 2014
    Detroit, MI
    Bump for a great bass. But heads up your post says SOLD and you updated last night saying still available. GLWTS

15. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Sale did not go through on this. Still available and still amazing

16. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Looking for Ken Smith, F bass, Pedulla MVP, or cash

17. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Getting some really nice trade offers. Thank you. Holding out for the right Smith, F bass, or cash

18. jazzycats

jazzycats

Oct 17, 2014
    interested in a zon sonus?

19. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Great basses but no thanks.

20. kokorollc

kokorollc

May 22, 2008
    Also willing to consider Sadowsky 5 string plus or minus cash depending on model. Just played this last night. Phenomenal but was nervous having it at the normal club I play at

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021