1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pre-Gibson Tobias Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WordToHerb, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Two things from my perspective.

First, the Pope has considerably more output power AND bandwidth, the latter being key.

Second, the mid control on the Bart IIRC was kind of an add on, at least for the early TCT, which was originally a two band. The two band TCT sounds glorious, a la Marcus Miller. The added mid circuit adds absolutely nothing of value and actually causes the preamp to have a much more compressed output, which chokes off the tone of the instrument. You end up with a feeble compressed output, which does the instrument no justice whatsoever. The folks at Bartolini seem to have continued in the wrong direction with the NTMB etc progressions. IMO, they would be much better served to just get back to the original 2 band circuit, and go from there.

The Pope has a 4 band circuit, which is far more practical. It is essentially the two band with both low mid and high mid added at no cost to the overall output dynamic. Those two mids are completely practical. Just a far superior circuit, which offers intelligent voicing options with none of the compression and plenty of output headroom. All of which suits the woody character of the early Tobias instruments to a T. Pun intended. I actually think Mike would be better served to migrate his MTD's to the Pope; but, I also know that he and Bill Bartolini are long time friends. Which speaks to Mike's character and integrity.

IMO, YMMV.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    evilgus and Highs&Lows like this.
  2. funkytoe

funkytoe Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Northern California
    Still looking for a pre-Gibson Classic 5 (or maybe even a Basic 5) for our friend. If anyone knows of one for sale, please send me a pm. Thanks

3. s_wood

s_wood Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    This bass is my Holy Grail. Has anyone ever seen it, or know where it is?

0A44EFCB-E306-4D9C-A3EE-5424C9DE58D4.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2017
  4. P5310032.JPG

BlueAliceOasis likes this.
  5. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Nice. I think swood is looking for the flame maple top though.

swood_de likes this.
  6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I prefer the Bartolini 3 band in my 1984 Hybrid 5.

Mine is wired kind of funny... VV BMT with pickup selector and active/passive.

7. Looks as though this July 2011 post was the originator’s last. Many requests for membership have been made since. Would anyone like to take over ownership?

8. It's been my main player for the last 17 years!
    IMG_0818.JPG

Attached Files:

evilgus likes this.
  9. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    That's a beautiful bass, Zoner! Not sure if you sere saying that your bass was my Holy Grail, but yours has a lacewood top, while the one on the string package is figured (almost flamed) maple.

10. Good observation and you're correct its lacewood on mine. I was not saying my bass is your holy grail but I can say I relate... it's definitely mine. Good luck on your search!

s_wood likes this.
  11. Buszkock

Buszkock

Dec 13, 2015
    New York
    @dreamadream99 I'm member #145 here so I think the list you're showing isn't complete. I was inducted last year sometime (2017).

EDIT: Unless there is a list for Official Tobias Club Members and there's a separate list for Pre-Gib members?

12. Yes, they are two separate clubs, as the thread title suggests.

13. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Hey guys. I bought a pre gibson classic 6 that was pretty modded for cheap, and have since worked it up to a wide spaced 5 that I am really digging. Almost everything is good to go except the finish doesn't seem right on it. You guys know what kind of finish the later pre gibs had, and who might be able to do it? Mike said he is way swamped to do such a thing.

14. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Not only that, but, Mike isn’t set up for gloss finishes. If you were West Of the M, I’d recommend Pat Wilkins. As it is, he may be your best option. Don’t know who has that kind of capability back east.

15. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Hey guys, I'm on the look out for a Pre-Gib Basic or Classic 5 or 6. Please let me know if you have something or know of one for sale. I have this in the wanted adds as well on TB. Got a line on a nice 6 already but want to see what else is out there. Thanks!

16. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    Is it ok, that I'm missing a knob? Rare BLACK, Classic 4, late 1983, # 275... 20180204_204843. 20180204_130158. 20180204_204634.

17. I know where this is. New old stock, never owned. Got shoved in the back of the store and forgotten until I came around looking for a Tobias... Yes, it's been sitting in a case since it was new. Early Gibson, but an amazing instrument nonetheless. IMG_5921.JPG

evilgus likes this.
  18. s_wood

Mar 23, 2003
    Delaware (USA)
    That’s not the same bass, but thanks! I’ve talked to Mike about the strong package bass, and it was pre-Gibson. As was the string package itself.

19. LowB-90

LowB-90

Jul 2, 2014
    COLORADO
    Would value depreciate for adding frets on a Tobias??

20. Depends on the quality of the job.