1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pre-Gibson Tobias Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WordToHerb, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Marc DLarosa

Marc DLarosa Supporting Member

May 29, 2017
    4 string?

2. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    4 string?

3. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    "Signature."

How does one tell?

4. You count the strings. If there’s four of ‘em, it’s a four string.

5. Marc DLarosa

May 29, 2017
    Aaaaaaaannnnnnd, the award for the most NONSENSICAL reply of 2018, goes to...

dreamadream99 likes this.
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Bassic - 5 piece laminate neck, solid wings.
    Classic - 5 piece laminate neck, top and tone plate on top of body wood (e.g., three layers). Sometimes only core and top (2 layers).
    Signature - 7 (or is it 9) piece laminate neck often Wenge. 3 layer body like Classic or sometimes core, top and back.
    That's as best I remember.

7. gilgulonchik

gilgulonchik

Nov 17, 2012
    Hi there experts! :)

Can someone tell me, what were the differences between the pre-gibson tobais brands? (basic, classic, signature..)... were some more valuable than the others? are some more sought for than others?

Thanks so much!

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    I remember calling mike T when I was about 12 or 13 years old asking about his basses after seeing a picture of Robert Trujillo in bass player with a white basic 4 pulling the strings apart like he’s going to tear them off in typical wild-man fashion, and he talked to me for a minute and very graciously mailed me a catalog...I’ve owned 2 US MTD basses over the years, A JJ5 and a 535, but never a Tobias until now...it’s just a standard 5 in blue, but it’s just like the one Rob Trujillo played with infectious and suicidal, man it rocks, has that buzzsaw grind unamplified that translates well to the amp, but it’s a carvin rig, so I blame that for not getting it completely right :D love this thing!

5E5D666F-63EE-4EF5-B806-AB323627817B. F458DFFB-DD86-4D63-AF95-359C542E33CE.

kesslari, Groove Doctor and tombowlus like this.
  9. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Read the post immediately above yours.
    Bassic was least expensive, Signature was most expensive. Overall that still holds true today.
    There was also the "Standard" which has, I think, 3 knobs rather than 5, was made in Japan, and is less valuable. And one that was made by Ken Smith, IIRC. One of those was the "Standard", I don't recall which.

10. gilgulonchik

gilgulonchik

Nov 17, 2012
    thanks so much!

in terms of sound and playing quality of the basses were there any differences between the basic and classic? would you say the basics are less good then the classics?

and in terms of the pricing today what will be the difference between a classic and basic pre gibson?

11. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    I just posted a picture of a standard immediately preceding your post...they were made in Japan, the other bass you’re talking about was called the Model T and it was built by Mike Pedulla

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  12. The Classic and Signature were made with darker, more exotic woods, and tend to be heavier and tonally darker than the Basic series. If you prefer a lighter bass, with a brighter sound, the Basics with maple body wings are perfect.

Resale on these is very near the original retail pricing. Basic was about 3,000, Classic was about 4,000, and Signature was about 5,000, for six strings. And, about 500 less for a 4 or 5 string.

skb5string and gilgulonchik like this.
  13. gilgulonchik

gilgulonchik

Nov 17, 2012
    Is there anyone here looking for selling his pre gibson? I’m looking for the 5 string classic modal..

Please hit me up with a private massage :)

14. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I wonder if anyone would trade a Pre-Gibson Tobias Classic 5 in good condition (serial number 1400-1900) for a Fodera.

15. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I think you might be referring to the Model T built by the magnificent Michael Pedulla.

16. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    No doubt they would because the Fodera is worth about 2.5-3x as much.

17. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Depends on what model of each you are talking about.

18. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    HIS Foderas, then. Did I need to cover every possible Fodera in that general statement?

Recent used Foderas are generally substantially more expensive than a Pre-Gibson classic. A beat-up, early-90s Monarch 4 or a recent Monarch standard versus a pristine Tobias Signature 6? That's about as close as it might get.

19. I wouldn't trade my Basic for 2 Foderas.

The basic being solid, not laminated, bodied does mean that you might find, say, a solid Zebra Basic like the 1st Tobias I ever saw. Don't come across that any more. BTW it was beautiful and sounded even better. Too bad it was wrong handed.

20. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Fodera's are fantastic, no doubt. I prefer my #1969 Classic 5 string.

Groove Doctor and tombowlus like this.