Pre-Gibson Tobias Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WordToHerb, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Wenge-necked signature 5/6 are my dream basses. Been looking for the right one for like 10+ years. Beautiful, greenbass.

greenbass and WayneP like this.
  2. greenbass

greenbass Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    thanks.... yes I got it February (before rona interrupted life as we know it) after waiting 10+ years. The owner called out the blue and said he would sell it due to failing health.

3. greenbass

greenbass Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2004
    USA
    Thanks.. I waited that long on this one too.....

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    foal30 likes this.
  4. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI
    Hey Everyone, got a question to ask.

A friend of mine and I are trying to help Terrance Palmer find his old Pre-Gibson Tobias from the Fred Hammond / New Breed days. I think it was sold on here a few years ago. Anyone know where it is? He really wants it back. Any help would be much appreciated! Terrance is a hero to a lot of us and would be a great service!

Thanks

WayneP and greenbass like this.
  5. Wasn’t hard to find the for-sale ad:

SOLD - Tobias Classic 5 Pre-gibson-Walnut/Wenge/Alder

Can’t tell from that if he sold it here of put it on ebay, and unfortunately the guy’s been banned. But I found his email in another one of his ads, maybe it’s still good.

[email protected]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

skb5string and greenbass like this.
  6. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Does anyone prefer the reverse P style pickups over the drop shoulder pickups in their Tobias’?

7. LowB-90

LowB-90 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2014
    USA
    What do you think now that you have your bass with drop shoulder pickups?

8. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I much prefer the drop shoulders, I’m a dual coil guy. But I’m sure some prefer the reverse P.

LowB-90 likes this.
  9. skb5string

skb5string Supporting Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Clinton Township, MI

Thanks Wayne! Yup I had found that. We reached out to him so we will see. Thanks!!

10. gilgulonchik

gilgulonchik

Nov 17, 2012
    Hey,

from my own experience I much rather my pr-gib basic tobias with its drop sholder pickups. I own 535 mtd (reverse P style pickups) and almost bought a beautiful pre-gib classic tobias with the reverse p style pickups but changed my mind on the last moment.

I guess it depends on each plyer’s taste and playing preferences.

iwearpumas likes this.
  11. iwearpumas

iwearpumas

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I'm with you. Im a dual coil guy.

gilgulonchik likes this.
  12. Greg Sullivan

Greg Sullivan

Feb 21, 2011
    Philly
    Alert: Tobias classic 6 #1806 on reverb for sale. It’s not mine, I keep watch on Reverb for 5 string basses but stumbled across this early 6 string that might be of interest to some folks on this forum. Happy hunting

skb5string and WayneP like this.
  13. Chris Todd

Chris Todd Supporting Member

May 1, 2020
    Catonsville, MD
    That looks almost identical to #544, which I owned back around 89 (or maybe 88?) or so. The only difference was 544 had inlays at the 12th fret for its owner, Rawn Randall (a Tobias employee at the time).

darkbass and skb5string like this.
  14. Chris Todd

Chris Todd Supporting Member

May 1, 2020
    Catonsville, MD
    Hello all you wonderful pre-Gibson Tobias owners! I was hoping one of you can help me out by measuring a few things on your pre-Gibson Basic 6 string? You see, as detailed in this thread, and further explained in this thread, I once owned a translucent purple 6 string Basic with flame maple body, a maple neck with purple heart stringers, and a pau ferro fingerboard. I loved that bass, it just sang. But like an idiot, I sold it around '93. I'd love to find it and get it back, but given that I'm not a professional, and don't have any musical talent whatsoever, it's probably best that it stays in the hands of someone who can make it sing.

But that doesn't mean I don't miss it! So I've decided to try to build a copy of that bass as a COVID-19 project. I know I won't make an exact copy, but I can try, and have some fun, and learn some things, and maybe end up with a playable 6 string as a result. But I need to know a few critical dimensions to be effective, such as:
    1) The scale length (I'm 99% sure it was 34")
    2) The string spacing at the nut (that is, the distance between the centers of each string)
    3) The string spacing at the bridge
    4) The maximum width of the headstock, as well as the width of the part of the "neck-thru" part of the neck (that is, the width of the portion the body wings attach to)
    5) The length from the nut to the centers of each pickup (you could measure this from the saddles as well, but since the saddles will all be slightly different, I think it's more accurate to measure from the nut, or perhaps the 12th or 24th frets, either way)

1, 2, and 3 constrain the basic parameters of the instrument, 4 will help me know how wide I need to buy the lumber for the neck, and 5 will help me make it sound as close as possible to an original Tobias Basic 6.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out, I really appreciate it!

xtremebassist1 likes this.
  15. xtremebassist1

xtremebassist1

Feb 23, 2020
    Hey fellow TBers! I got this baby today:

Tobias Custom 6 Fretless 1989 Second Hand, used, preowned Bass Guitar Stock :: For sale, UK, On offer, Warwick, Michael Tobias, Birmingham, London, Manchester

It is mint! Not a scratch or ding on it. Only the finish slightly yellowing and the SN keeps you from thinking it is brand new. The quilt is awesome, 3d like lacewood. My centerfold has drop shoulders but damn, these reverse Ps sound good and are hot. I've heard the most of the original Tobias were custom builds and I was curious anybody knows the story on this beauty. Mark at Bass Direct said the previous owner had it for 12 years but no paper work. It was obviously fretted originally. Pro job making it fretless. Ironically my centerfold was originally a fretless and Tobias later made it fretted for the catalog photo shoot. Does this baby have similar history? Plus with a Pre-Nash & Pre-Gibson, can I join the club?

s_wood, skb5string and Chris Todd like this.
  16. Greg Sullivan

Greg Sullivan

Feb 21, 2011
    Philly
    Congratulations! Looks amazing

17. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    Beautiful bass! My second Tobias was originally fretless and i had it made fretted!

18. You bet, you are in! That one’s a stunner, can’t say I’ve seen one remotely like it.

Updated list:
    1. WordTo Herb
    2. Woapower
    3. evilgus
    4. Hydra7
    5. leloupa
    6. dkterry
    7. kesslari
    8. Debased
    9. rnyltton
    10. Brad Johnson
    11. greenbass
    12. inthepocket4u
    13. The Creature
    14. LikeButta
    15. gregwatts2008
    16. ClassicJazz
    17. miziomix
    18. Paullee01
    19. [email protected]
    20. dofranco
    21. bucephylus
    22. pfunker
    23. BSR6P-Bob
    24. alibi4001
    25. Marcus Tobias
    26. Jo mix
    27. Greg Sullivan
    28. daerbass
    29. pfunker
    30. skb5string
    31. BrandonA119
    32. Zoner401
    33. notejung
    34. Federighi
    35. darryl1965
    36. kokorollc
    37. Highs&Lows
    38. KCOBLE
    39. BassLand
    40. Diddler
    41. sumowilkie
    42. zerran12
    43. Dregg
    44. Brams77
    45. amerbs38
    46. deanb1043
    47. pfair
    48. Emerdude
    49. Lo6man
    50. harala
    51. Stone.Village
    52. MD Stingray
    53. Catabee
    54. scubaduba
    55. dreamadream99
    56. Buszkock
    57. almighty_bass
    58. Nakamura Satoru
    59. leurw
    60. Tobiasfin
    61. Zoner401
    62. mustangcruise
    63. neptoon
    64. tombowlus
    65. Gravenites
    66. mikkoantt
    67. NecroticImbecil
    68. taphappy
    69. Slammer
    70. LowB-90
    71. pablop
    72. warwickorrior
    73. xtremebassist1

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

19. xtremebassist1

xtremebassist1

Feb 23, 2020
    can’t say I’ve seen one remotely like it.

Yeah, me neither. I can't remember coming across a quilted maple pre Gibson Tobias before. I'm curious SN# 1017 or 1019 are made from the same awesome quilt maple like 1107 has the same Bubigna as my 1106 sig. I'm puzzled why this bass is so mint. It has round wounds on it but no digs into the fretboard. Its my first 6 stringer and it is very comfortable. Sounds great. Neck is flat. It is like it was buried in a time capsule. I'm trying to find the catch why this bass wasn't played for all these years especially after yanking the frets. So far, all good!

WayneP likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 17, 2021