Pre-Gibson Tobias Owners Club!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WordToHerb, May 18, 2009.

Tags:
  1. darkbass

darkbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2006
    NYC
    Nice string package.... Another concept of mine ;-)

WayneP likes this.
  2. deanb1043

deanb1043

Dec 20, 2002
    I have a red stained bubinga basic 6. It doesn't feel that heavy to me but I guess it is! lol.

3. darkbass

darkbass Gold Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2006
    NYC
    You are strong!!!

4. xtremebassist1

xtremebassist1

Feb 23, 2020
    Agreed once you hear and feel the sound the weight is an after thought. Hard to beat bubinga wings, wenge tone plate with drop shoulder pickups.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    darkbass and deanb1043 like this.
  5. bwoodman

bwoodman Supporting Member

I posted this on the "basses" thread last week before I knew this one existed:

I'm stoked! I was on talkbass the other night - as I am most nights - and I always check the latest basses for sale of course - anyway, I have always done searches for old pre-Gibson Tobias Basics and Classics - 5 strings only - long story short, my first Tobias was a Basic 5 - bought in 1988 from Mike Tobias at the Cahuenga Blvd Hollywood shop - actually my buddy Dave Blackhurst put in the order because he knew Mike from meeting him at a NAMM show - Dave was a small time builder / repair shop here in San Gabriel way back in the 80s. I did take that bass over for a neck tweak at the Cahuenga shop, so I got to know Mike from that day on. Back to the story - I sold that trans red Basic 5 because I couldn't afford to own TWO Tobias basses at the time (I was only 24 at the time, had just bought a house with the wife from my previous life), so I sold it to buy my trans purple 1990 Killer B5 that I still have to this day! I would have kept that Basic 5 if I had enough bread at the time! I also had the opportunity to buy a Classic 5 - bubinga wenge alder around 1990 when the Burbank shop closed, but I just couldn't come up with the $1700 at the time.

So, I see this Basic 5 in red for sale on TB a few days ago (some of you probably saw it for sale) and I knew it looked really familiar - same little black knot that I remembered - and the serial number 893 sounded really familiar - and I tried to find my Tobias folder that would have this info - I somehow misplaced that darn folder, so I went through a box of gear pics - I knew I had at least ONE pic of it - found it - compared the grain - and I was 99% sure that this was my long lost Basic 5. I bought it a couple days ago and it's on the way now – arrives tomorrow in fact. I can’t believe I have somehow lost my Tobias file folder that may have had the serial number info. I’m just glad I had that one pic.

Take a look at the pics. What do you all think? The first pic is the one I took back when I had the bass between 1988 - 1990. You may have to save & enlarge that one to compare to the new photos from the TB member I just bought it back from. What locks it in for me is the grain pattern on the upper body and that black knot above the bridge.

I have sent these pics to Mike & Daniel Tobias, Mo @ Nordstrand and Bud LeCompte to get their opinion and they’re all sure it’s the same bass – and I was sure enough to buy it already.

Thanks for taking a look!

7FpNKGF.jpg

YMHRiXn.jpg

SHpDkFj.jpg

And now the trio:

4s23ngY.jpg

6. This is a real testament to the quality of the original Tobias basses. That you liked it enough to buy it again.

bwoodman likes this.
  7. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! That looks a lot like my Basic 5 (#766), which my favorite Tobias of those which I have played and owned.

50583662516_f39fe23898_h.jpg

8. bwoodman

Tom:

Like!

What a coincidence- I was going to contact you today on this to tell you that I had seen a pic of your red Basic 5 before - probably on your blog page - I would check your basses for sale occasionally to see if you might ever sell it :) I know - it’s a keeper!

I still can’t believe I found my B5 - totally nuts!

I’m still on the lookout for a PGT Classic 5!

tombowlus likes this.
  9. bwoodman

Yes! And the thing is I would have kept it if I could have afforded to at the time, but back then it was “sell one to buy another.”

kesslari likes this.
  10. Dale Spencer

Dale Spencer

Apr 13, 2021
    Hey all! New to the site and thread! I'm excited to join because I just picked up #1519! Perfect condition! IMG_20210412_125220_356.jpg

iwearpumas, foal30, greenbass and 3 others like this.
  11. bwoodman

Very nice! Where did you find this one?

12. Dale Spencer

Dale Spencer

Apr 13, 2021
    Found this one on the Bass Gear For Sale Facebook group. It was posted by a user in the Netherlands. It took almost 3 weeks to get it here between customs and FedEx trouble, but completely worth it!
    I've had an early model Gibson Tobias Growler since I was 16. Great bass. Once I was older and wiser to know about pre-Gibson, I've coveted one. This one got here for my 40th birthday!

foal30 likes this.
  13. bwoodman

Nice! I did check out that FBG a few weeks ago - will have to check it on a regular basis. I'm hoping to find a Burbank or pre Gibson Classic 5. Congrats + Happy B-day :thumbsup:

Dale Spencer likes this.
  14. Dale Spencer

Dale Spencer

Apr 13, 2021
    I came across this one today on Reverb...
    Tobias Classic | Dock's Basses | Reverb

Not in perfect condition, but may be worth taking a look and making an offer. It's #1631, so price may be a bit high for a Burbank model, especially if it's not mint.

15. bwoodman

Yeah - saw that one a few weeks ago - and also that crack in the body o_O which is why I didn't take any action on it. Considering the repair work that I'm pretty sure has to be done (there's no mention of it in the ad - it says "good condition" and no other description), I would only offer about $2K tops. No way they'll get $3999 and I see there have been 7 offers. Probably better to get that crack fixed first - then maybe have a shot at that price or maybe $3500 tops IMO of course.

16. Dale Spencer

Dale Spencer

Apr 13, 2021

I agree. Saw the crack after I put this on here. Unfortunate.

17. Wow, that is beautiful! Any idea what the top plate wood is?

First new member of 2021 – see below for your number, and be sure and add us to your signature!.

Updated list:
    1. WordTo Herb
    2. Woapower
    3. evilgus
    4. Hydra7
    5. leloupa
    6. dkterry
    7. kesslari
    8. Debased
    9. rnyltton
    10. Brad Johnson
    11. greenbass
    12. inthepocket4u
    13. The Creature
    14. LikeButta
    15. gregwatts2008
    16. ClassicJazz
    17. miziomix
    18. Paullee01
    19. [email protected]
    20. dofranco
    21. bucephylus
    22. pfunker
    23. BSR6P-Bob
    24. alibi4001
    25. Marcus Tobias
    26. Jo mix
    27. Greg Sullivan
    28. daerbass
    29. pfunker
    30. skb5string
    31. BrandonA119
    32. Zoner401
    33. notejung
    34. Federighi
    35. darryl1965
    36. kokorollc
    37. Highs&Lows
    38. KCOBLE
    39. BassLand
    40. Diddler
    41. sumowilkie
    42. zerran12
    43. Dregg
    44. Brams77
    45. amerbs38
    46. deanb1043
    47. pfair
    48. Emerdude
    49. Lo6man
    50. harala
    51. Stone.Village
    52. MD Stingray
    53. Catabee
    54. scubaduba
    55. dreamadream99
    56. Buszkock
    57. almighty_bass
    58. Nakamura Satoru
    59. leurw
    60. Tobiasfin
    61. Zoner401
    62. mustangcruise
    63. neptoon
    64. tombowlus
    65. Gravenites
    66. mikkoantt
    67. NecroticImbecil
    68. taphappy
    69. Slammer
    70. LowB-90
    71. pablop
    72. warwickorrior
    73. xtremebassist1
    74. Dale Spencer

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Ecclesia: Unique Arrangements of Hymns, P&W Standards, and Original Tunes
    Administrator, Pedulla Club #45
    Administrator, Tobias Club #133
    Fretless Club #943
    Big Cabs Club #23
    My Rig: Stage and FOH Friendly
    My Basses

18. Dale Spencer

Dale Spencer

Apr 13, 2021
    It's walnut wings with wenge center

WayneP likes this.
  19. bwoodman

I forgot to ask for a number - I posted on March 16 when I re-purchased my old 1988 Basic 5 - post #825.

Thanks!

Brad (bwoodman)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021