Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre-gibson tobias pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by abriemzh, Dec 29, 2004.

1. hi guys,

i want to build a low budget 5 string bass, and i find some pre-gibson tobias pickups at my luthier. i wonder what they would sound. do you think it is a good idea???
    i havent heard that pickup, so maybe someone has, and willing to give their opinion ????
    thanx for your help anyway. :)

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I have a pre_Gibson Tobias - they're Bartolinis and have a very characteristic Bart sound - I love it - but it's always personal preference. Lots of mids!! :)

3. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    If you are referring to the korean made Toby-Pro or Toby Deluxe basses, they have pickups that are stamped 'Tobias' on the front and are not Bartolini pickups. If they were Bartolinis, they would probably be stamped 'Bartolini' on the front (cant miss it). I've read several guesses as to who makes the Tobias stamped pickups, but my guess is that Mighty Mite makes the soapbar pickups in the Toby-Pro basses. I'm unsure about the jazz style pickups in the Toby-Deluxe basses though.
    If you own one of these Toby series basses and are looking to fix the weak output level, look into replacing the stock preamp with a Bartolini or Aguilar preamp, but don't waste your money replacing the pickups, they're hot without the shabby preamp choking them, and they sound great!
    I put a Bartolini NTBT in one of my Toby-Pro 5's and sounds great now!
    *edit: Geez, I just noticed you were referring to Pre-Gibson Tobias pickups. Sorry about all the useless information above!
    FWIW, I thought most Pre-Gibson Tobias' had Bartolini pickups stock.

4. yes, they're not bartolini, and stamped tobias. so you own a korean made tobi-pro? and changing the pre amp will do good to the sound?? what pre amp are you using, and how they sound now?? can you describe it to me????

5. Bruce Lindfield

Well - you can vist Michael Tobias' webiste and there is a long "history" , where he exaplains how he got Bartolini to make the pickups for his original "pre-Gibson" Tobias basses - although they don't say Bartolini on them - they are Bartolinis!

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I thought ALL pre-gibson Tobias basses had Bartolini's, and that all of them SAID "Bartolini" on them. Correct?

The two pre-Gibson Classic 5's I had definitely said "bartolini" on them.

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I know they are all made by Bartolini - but my Classic 5 pre-Gibson Tobias' pickups don't say anything on them!

8. NCorder

NCorder Smoke-free since 4/3/05

Dec 26, 2002
    Dayton, OH
    1st, are you absolutely sure its a pre-gibson Tobias? If its a Korean made Toby, it's definately NOT pre-Gibson. Bruce will know better than I, but I think if the serial # is 2044 or less, its a pre-Gibson piece which probably had Bartolini Pickups/preamp in it. If its a longer serial number, and has Tobias stamped in the pickups, chances are its a Gibson Toby which has re-badged Mighty-Mite pickups.
    Got any pictures? We might be able to help identify further if you can attach some eye candy.

9. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Anyone know where you can get those same quality pickups/preamps from the early Tobias basses? Does Bartolini even offer those quality pickups anymore?