pre-gibson tobias resale value/advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by andysvec, Feb 25, 2005.

1. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Okay folks, for my first post as a 'supporting member' (it took me long enough), I'd like to ask a little advice from any pre-gibson Tobias experts out there.

I have a pre-gibson 1988 Tobias, #793, originally made for Ron Foos of Paul Revere and the Raiders (has ‘R F’ inlayed at the 12th fret) that I plan on selling (or trading) in the near future. I wrote both Mike Tobias and Ron when I acquired it and confirmed it’s interesting history with both. It was originally white from the Tobias shop, then Ron had zebra stripes painted on, then the guy that I got it from had it refinished natural and had Roger Sadowsky install his preamp in ’94. It has some player wear such as some buckle rash and a bunch of nicks and dings and scratches in the body, so it's not mint, but none are on the neck and none affect the playability. Sounds incredible and plays wonderfully, but I’m just so used to my Modulus that I don’t really play it much and am considering taking the 6 string plunge (Q6?).

So my question, any idea of what a fair value on this bass is? One other thing I was considering was maybe sending it off (maybe even back to Mike Tobias if possible) to get it refinished back to white as it was new, and to get rid of the dents and nicks/bucklerash on the body. Do you think that would be wise or leave as is? Thanks in advance, - Andy

2. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I'm no expert on the value, but I doubt another refinnish, ecsp. into a solid color would add anything to the value. I would think most Tobias Shoppers would prefer the natural. As far as price I would guess (and it's just that) somewhere between 2-2500 from what I've seen of the used market.
  3. I had a 1987 Tobias Bassic Five, serial #642. I recently sold it on e-bay for $2200.00. It was a great bass, nothing plays as easy as one of those early original Tobias basses. I just wanted something different, a Sadowsky MV5. I'm really happy I sold it and I'm sure the person who purchsed it is really happy also. If you play it and you like it keep it, if you sell it, you should be able to get decent money for it.
    Edit: It's a great looking bass, and if you painted all white you would be hiding the wood grain, I think you'll be better off leaving it "as is." Good Luck.
  4. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    thanks for the info. Looks like I wouldn't be asking too much if I posted it in the classifieds to trade for a Modulus Q6. Hmm...