Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-Gibson Tobias Standard.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by N*Joy, Apr 22, 2005.

1. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Anyone have experience with these? It strikes me as kinda halfway towards my dream bass (Classic 6) but one has come up on ebay UK that might stay within my means. It's the model produced 1990-1992 in Japan with QC and set-up done by Mikes Crew in the US.

All I really want to know is, does it compare sound and feel wise with the US produced models?

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    AFAIK, If it was a pre Gibson Tobias, it couldn't have been made in Japan.

I assume you're talking about the Toby line, maybe some early models. A friend of mine has the 6, got it used (originally bought from MusicYo.com). Other than the fact that it's kinda' heavy, I think it's a pretty nice bass.

Also, I THINK there were only genuine USA Tobias basses until Mike left Gibson, which is when the quality started to get shakey, and eventually worse over time.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Why not go for the real thing - I'll sell you my genuine pre-Gibson Tobias classic!! ;)

4. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Because I doubt I could afford it :D

Lets see the pics then!

BTW - it's definitely pre-gibson (well pre gibson manufacture if not ownership), here's a snippet from the MTD site:

"Business was still very good and we were not able to make anywhere near enough basses to fill the orders. Instead of trying to jack up production, we tried to get outside vendors to build for us. We had 110 "Model T" basses made for us by a very fine builder in New England, and then we got the Terada factory in Nagoya, Japan to make the "Standard" bass for us. This was and is a great bass, but the $/yen ratio killed the project. There were about 400 Standards.

Late in 1992, it was decided that in the best corporate interests, Tobias would move to Nashville. After much deliberation, no one from the original Tobias Guitars crew went to Nashville. The final LA Tobias/Gibson serial number is 2044. Despite Gibson's ownership of Tobias, all of the basses made up to 2044 were built by the my regular crew. The first production from Tobias/Nashville consisted of about 60 basses that were not numbered or finished by this crew."

5. Bruce Lindfield

Mine is #1274 - I have pics - but they are too large to post here, I've tried before - ended up emailing them to interested parties!

There 's a thread around somewhere about it...! ;)

I'll be interested to see how much this one goes for - let us know!

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Standard was made in Japan, and was produced before the USA production moved to Nashville.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    Great Bass, mine is a 6... #10 Great sounding bass with bart electronics. One thing is weird.. the mid control is in the cavity of the bass. It's a full size pot mounted inside. Go figure?? I understand all of them were like that. I bought my new in the early 90's

8. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    Thanks all - auction ends in a few hours so I'll let you know how I get on.

9. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
  10. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    How much ! PM me !

11. Bruce Lindfield

I'd sell it for about £1600 o.n.o. (I paid £1700) - but there's no way I'm shipping it to the US!! ;)