Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre gibson tobias talk

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by zonermusica, Mar 12, 2005.

1. who plays tobias? show off some pre gibson pictures. What are some likes and dislikes about the pre gibson tobias bass?

2. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#700, zebrawood & wenge neck through fretted 5 built in 1985 for Bob Lee when he was store manager in Hollywood. Pickups each have series/parallel switches.

Pros: great tone and cuts through like a torpedo. Lots of diverse sounds in there. Truly beautiful woodworking construction. The wenge grain looks like it was drawn by a draftsman.

Cons: heavy & string spacing a bit narrow for my taste.

I recently had it refinished by Mike, who replaced the aging controls & wiring harness with a new one from Bill Bartolini. I like the new "MTD spec" finish a lot better (more organic feeling) and it's still a great bass.

Aloha,

Jonathan

3. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2004
    Guam
    [​IMG]

1988 Tobias, #793, originally made for Ron Foos of Paul Revere and the Raiders (has ‘R F’ inlayed at the 12th fret).

I've been thinking of trading/selling it:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=167521
    but nothing much has panned out lately.

It's a great sounding bass, it was sent to Sadowsky in '94 for his onboard pre.

It was originally white, then Ron Foos had zebra stripes painted on, then the guy I bought it from in Reno had it stripped. If I keep it I think I will have it refinished back to white as the body grain doesn't quite match. Plus it has a bunch of nicks and dings. But it is quite a great sounding bass, and the craftmanship on these old ones is impeccable.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    1978 Walnut/ Purpleheart 4. JHD Audio preamp, Stars Guitars hardware, originally Bartolini pickups, swapped them out for EMGs :)eek: ), need to swap them back.

[​IMG]

1984 Padauk/Alder hybrid 5. Prototype curved top Bart pickups (no name on pickups).
    [​IMG]

Both 3 digit serial numbers (197 and 308 IIRC). I'm the original owner on both.

:hyper:

Only dislike is I'd prefer wider spacing on the five. Still very playable.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"

pics .... PPPLLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSEEEE?

6. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Second from left in first pic, second from right in second.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I had this 1988 Signature 6 for a few months:

http://home.comcast.net/~taylorsherman/tobias_body_angle.jpg

dislikes:

- neck-heavy (while it wasn't super un-balanced, this was a real downer for me)

- string spacing different than I like (was wider at the nut and narrower at the bridge than my Hanewinckels)

- didn't like the thick-ish asymmetrical neck (I like a thinner, flatter neck)

- I didn't really dig the preamp (Bart TCT I think). I thought the bass sounded better passive, but somewhere in-between would have been best.

8. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    I wish i had something to add. I want to buy that omega cut off the low end but dont think i have enough or wont until my credit clears. IMO I Think most pre Gibson Tobias can hang with any bass you put them agaisnt.

9. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA