Pre Gibson Tobias Vs. MTD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by willrwilli, Jan 26, 2003.

1. willrwilli

Jul 15, 2002
    I have always been curious about what the differences are between the Pre-Gibson Tobias basses, and the MTD's are. I have owned an
    MTD 535, and a Gibson Nashville made Tobias. I may be in the market for another one, and wanted to know which one I should target. The MTD I owned just seemed not to cut through the mix very well. It had the Tulip wood bottom, and the myrtle burl top. Any info would be very helpful.
  2. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    The main difference would be, generally speaking, neck through construction vs. bolt-on.

As far as cutting through in the mix, either one can do it. Not getting it done could be a result of many things. Be a little more specific and I'm sure someone may be able to help.

I have both. My older Tobias 5 has a very beefy yet articulate sound and an excellent B string. My MTD 635 doesn't sound quite as beefy and is probably more articulate. I've never had an issue with either bass. If you've ever heard Jimmy Haslip (Tobias, then MTD) or Juan Nelson (MTD) you'll know that this is true for either brand.

What kind of music are you playing, what rig are you using, EQ settings on the bass and amp (for example, are you cutting mids)? All of these can factor into a bass sound that gets lost live. For starters, one of the main culprits is boosting your highs first. Instead, start flat, turn your volume up (keep the volume up on the bass itself) and see how that sounds. Then, if you still need highs it'll probably take a small tweak. In the meantime you lows and mids will probably be in the ballpark. Give that a shot next time your having problems cutting through.

Can't help you with which one to target. They both excel at what they do IMO.
  3. My 1985 neck through, all zebrawood & wenge cuts through like a torpedo. It also weighs a ton.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I played calypso on a semi trailer this year in a 4th of July parade with a loud generator, drummer, couple of guitars & busy keyboard & 3 vocalists competing with the diesel of our and other trucks and the crowd. Friends said they could hear and feel the bass clearly and everything else was a bit indistinct. I was using an iamp 500 and 2 Bergantino 112s facing right and left. The rest of the band was through a PA with 2 Eon 15s. We also won the best musical entry award and had a great time.

My 535 fretless and 435 sound sweeter and have more character and growel and play better, but the neck through pounds through all the way down the b string.

I think I'm gonna send it to Mike for an electronics upgrade and refinish.