1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pre-Gig report - 20 years ago, four guys with one dumb idea...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tedious1, Dec 28, 2018.

1. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    ...played their first show as a band. Tomorrow is the day we mark that exercise in questionable decision making.

Starting with one dumb idea, after 20 years, it seemed like another dumb idea is in order, and sure enough someone promptly suggested one:
    "Let's take our four piece, which has been a 20 year cat-herding exercise, and make guest spots for five additional musicians to come up and play with us through the set!"

But, it's gone well, guys have learned their parts, it's all come together quite nicely, to the point I'm more worried about the songs where there is no guest on stage!

FWIW, two of the five were previously in the band, one is our current sub for string players and the other two are guys we've shared stages with many many times over the years. I suppose I should have had a more positive outlook from the start, but expecting the worst makes for fewer let downs and some pleasant surprises once in awhile...

So, sweat out the last 45 minutes of work, and home to give both basses the once over, check action and intonation and run some finger exercises (and probably all the songs with no guest player...) We have a time slotted in case any of the guest players want to do one more last minute run through in the afternoon and then...it's showtime.

2. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

Ok. Yay band! Now let's have the rest of the story. :D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

tedious1 and mwbonsall like this.
  3. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Well, the show went off well, a few little hitches with some of the guest spots, what was nice and straight-forward in a well lit rehearsal space didn't come off quite as nicely on a dark stage...even when guys know better.

If we ever do something like that again, we'll have someone stage-manage it, chase those guys around, get 'em in one place, send 'em to get tuned up and such and then to stage, that's the lesson learned...

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of photos myself, we hired a photographer, and it seemed, well redundant, when we get the digital proofs, I'll punch a few into this thread, there will be some good ones.

But, everyone got paid, including the photographer, and we took extra special care of the out of town opener. Not quite a high water mark for us, but pretty close. Merch moved well, we had a new shirt design, and lighters and toques, none of which the hometown kids had seen yet, so it moved pretty well. Lighters gentlemen, lighters, get the right deal, you can mark those things up 200-300% and still be competitive to the closest 7-11...

But the highpoint? We have a shipping box suitable for an 8x10 full of food and clothing donations, we gave folks a $5 break on cover for two items of food or one item of warm clothing, and folks took advantage of.

The weird point? Coming back to load out the next day, the bar is brightly lit, and every table is full of hipsters plaing Dungeons and Dragons... Any bar in the daylight is a weird place, but this went extra weird...

The disappointment? Damn venue changed the Pizza dough, really not up to snuff compared to the old recipe, but my wife's burger was phenomenal, but too spicy for her. Fortunately I like spicy, and she didn't mind the pizza dough.

4. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    _DSC9940-X2.
    Matt, our guitar player, Tim the drummer in the background.
    _DSC0013-X2.
    Your's truly, 'rehydrating...'
    _DSC9821-X2.
    Dan (singer) and Matt again.
    _DSC9897-X2.
    Dan and I making everyone cringe with our 'harmonizing'
    _DSC0163-X2.
    One for just the drummer
    _DSC0052-X2.
    Shh, don't tell Mrs. Tedious, she hates having her picture taken, and hates it more when I post them.
    _DSC9925-X2.
    The guy side stage was the first guest musician, I can't find any pics of him on stage, but this was probably just before he came up. Brandon, our current sub for strings.
    _DSC0081-X2.
    Dave, the second guest player, again not a great photo, but there are a bunch to go through, and this was the first one I saw with Dave in it.
    _DSC0131-X2.
    Third guest, Vic, who also plays leads in the band that was on just before us. The first flight SG with auto-tuners, neck dives like a bass...
    _DSC0352-X2.
    Fourth guest, and a former guitar and bass player in the band, Jay.
    _DSC0443-X2.
    The original bass player, Roger.
    _DSC0267-X2.
    Me, holding a guitar in anger for the first time since I can't remember when. Eyes on the neck, my muscle memory thinks frets have a different interval than that Epi...
    I'm not seeing photos of the other bands, so I guess the photographer broke them up that way, but if I come across any I'll post 'em.

5. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    Looks like a good time was had by all. Let me venture a wild guess - you are not playing smooth jazz here!

tedious1 and catcauphonic like this.
  6. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Nope, we just fake it;)

McG likes this.
  7. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Cool gig report!

On par with our @BassCliff, just fewer babe shots :smug:

tedious1 likes this.
  8. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    That sir is indeed a high compliment...thank you.

I've read more than a few of BassCliff's and that was why I started posting threads around our mini-tours (and we have another one this year coming in April...). I'm still getting the hang of it, and it's easier on tour, where I'm more likely to think of my phone as a camera. Close to home, I don't even think about taking pictures...

McG and catcauphonic like this.
  9. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Cliff sets a high bar! Keep em coming

tedious1 likes this.
  10. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Would love to hear and see a video of you guys .. looks awesome... nice gig report. ;)

tedious1 likes this.
  11. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Funny you mention that...

When Matty joined the band in '13 (for our 15th anniversary for those keeping score) one of the things he was really stoked on was shooting a video. That got shelved at various points for various reasons, after various amounts of headway had been made. But it's come up again, and partly I think because we're in a better position to DIY things, in true punk fashion, than we have been before. Matty is a fair hand with video editing, Brandon (our strings sub) is a fair hand at a mixing console. The photographer friend is as comfortable shooting video as stills...

I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully this time it doesn't die still born... But I know one part of the plan is to take more video on tour in April, so I'll try and wrangle something out of Matty during the tour diary thread I'll be doing for those 10 days..

McG likes this.
  12. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    I remember @dbase being a little verklempt with the lack of food pic's in my tour diary...One of the notes to try and change this time around, but it is pretty rare that we get fed by the venue, it's pretty rare that the venue has a menu!

Another photo I found:
    49397714_10156917990574518_8554199136952385536_o.?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.
    The gentleman in makeup is from 5 Cent Freakshow, one of the opening bands...

They emphatically are not an ICP tribute act, that gentleman plays DB (a very disreputable looking DB at that) and on the back of his jacket are the words "I am not a <EXPLETIVE_DELETED> Juggalo!"

13. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    It's not always about the food .. it's about the bass. I'd like to hear that bass rig. ;)

tedious1 and McG like this.
  14. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Looks like you had an good audience and they were enjoying the show - doesn't get much better than that, Congrats!

tedious1 likes this.
  15. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    Duly noted.

FWIW, I'm playing a VT-RM through a Behringer iNuke, on to a pair of SVT-210AV cabs. Both basses are Squires, the VM Jazz in the photos and a VM Jag that was sitting off-stage, just in case. Basically set the VT per the manual for most SVT-like, and tweaked from there.

Not high end stuff by any means, but gear I'm comfortable putting in the back of a van and driving around the country and from time to time playing sketchy venues in sketchy neighbourhoods.

Oh, found out that the shots of the other bands are still with the photographer, he just expedited getting ours to us, so hopefully I'll have a few more photos to post.

McG likes this.