Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre/Power Amp & Ashdown Questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oysterbass, Sep 12, 2004.

1. oysterbass

oysterbass

Nov 14, 2003
    Hello all. Just a couple of questions that I would be greatful for any assistance with. My current bass amp setup is an Ashdown Electric Blue EB-180 Combo, with a MAG 210T extention cabinet. I am planning to sell the EB-180 as I am starting a covers band, the aim of which is to gig regularly .. and get money regularly for doing so. Since the EB really isn't up to the job .. or anything in fact .. I am planning on purchasing a MAG 410T to use with the 210T. However, my issues arise when it comes to the question of amps. While I originally was looking at the MAG head, I would much rather spend my money on something better that I don't feel I have to upgrade from in a year or so's time. This led me to the ABM 500RC (I decided that a rackmount unit would be more appropriate for heavy gigging, once I manage to obtain some suitably hardwearing rack casing .. anyone got any suggestions as to what to try? SKB has never really taken my fancy .. ). However, I then looked at the ABMRPM Pre-Amplifier, and the APM1000 Power Amp.

Are there any advantages to the pre/power amp setup?

Does anyone have any experience with this or any similar pre/power amp setups?

There appear to be two outputs from the Power Amp, is it possible to effect just one of these outputs with, for example, distortion, to obtain the sort of clean bass through one cabinet/distorted bass through a second cabinet setup that is used by Chris Wolstenholme of Muse?

There are also two inputs, is there any reason for this .. do I need two pre-amps for the power amp to work?

Finally, the pre-amp's detail on the website states that there is a line-in. While perhaps an odd suggestion, is it possible for me to connect a drum machine to the pre-amp through this line, or would this be unadvisable?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I really have no understanding of the technical side of amplification!

Cheers - Chris.

2. Hello,

I have the Ashdown preamp RPM-1 and look after a good amplification for this.

The main advantage of this setup is the versatility :)

You can use one or two channel of the amplifier. For exemple if you use a Crown XT202 ( 2*200w ) you can use the preamp with crossover full range and one channel and a 2*10 ( it's an exemple ) for training ( 1*200w).

For concert, you can use the two channel of the preamp and two cabinet ( 2*200w )

The Ashdown have a crossover for do Biamplification, it's not a problem to got the right sound with any configuration.

Most of amplifiers are stereo. You can use one or two channel or bridge mode if you need more powerful amp.

I don't know the price of APM1000, but i think the Crown XT202 or QSC MRX 850 is more cheaper and great choise. I haven't buy one yet, i not sure between the crown and QSC :p

I haven't try but i think it's not a problem. Why don't use a channel of the amplifier striclty for the drum machine ?

Not really. In fact the crossover have two output.

One full range

One with two output ( low and treble )

In my opinion, the best think wild be to use the biamplification with another effect after the treble output of the crossover. I'm not sure and haven't try this...