Pre/Power amps, or heads with international power supplies?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Switched, Sep 14, 2004.

1. Being in Australia, we get a very limited choice of bass amplification. I've been lucky enough to stumble across the occasional SVT-CL/4 Pro, or Eden head in the stores, but never any Mesa gear or preamps of any kind. The fact is, for me, I doubt I'll ever get to try some of the interesting gear that gets talked about here before handing over my money. That means I'll be buying based on reputation, reviews, and the odd basstasters clip anyway, so I may as well save some cash and buy from the USA.

So, as the topic says, who makes stuff with fairly easily altered international power supplies? I know Eden does (hence the World Tour name). Any other manufacturers I should be looking at?
  2. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Eden modified my Nemesis at the factory for no extra charge. It is now 110/240 switchable. Gallien Krueger sent me details to change my old MB150 head from 110 to 240.

I know they'll do it. On the other hand, you can drag a transformer around to every gig. Bit of a pain but not a huge problem.
  3. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I bought my QSC PLX 3002 off eBay, had the seller ship it direct to QSC who converted it to 230v power and gave it a full service, and then shipped it on to me. The voltage conversion cost $30 or so, and there was a bit of extra shipping to pay of course. However, because the seller was shipping the amp to QSC in California, not to me in the UK, I could bid on all those auctions that said "will only ship to lower 48 states, no overseas bidders".

Ended up with a £1000 amp for about $750 all told. Bargain!