Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre + Power doesnt equal cheaper

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sanctum, May 28, 2002.

1. My head really hurts. After all the internal run around about what to buy, I thought I'd get a Mesa 400+, but none available locally, and the next production run isnt done until July.

I thought I'd get off cheaper going pre-amp + poweramp, but the combos I can live with are just as much as buying a new head I could live with (such as SVT4-Pro or 400+). Like the IOD + PLX 1600 = same cash.

so now I'm back at square one = no new rig yet :(

Greg

2. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Who said separate power- /preamp was cheaper?:confused:
    More options and more power but not cheaper.

3. some imaginary voice

or maybe that's what I've been telling my wife?

Greg

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, it's cheaper power, not cheaper rig. See, for 400 bucks (lets just pretend) with a combo head you get what? 350 watts? Less? Or a poweramp with 1000. Well, fine and dandy, but there's no pre-amp, now is there? It's just as expensive, just a few more options within the expense. Oh, BTW, the SansAmp RBI and PSA-1 are nice pre-amps that both go used for 200 or under. And I hear they sound really nice, so there ARE ways to get a rig going for cheaper.

5. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Get a Carvin DCM1000 and a used Ampeg SVP pre. 1k watts and a good sounding pre all for about $700.

6. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    DUDE GO WITH THE MESA 400+. <yes i was yelling because I feel very strongly about that KILLER amp!!! You said none are available locally,, why not just order one from Guitar Center or something? Try Basscentral.com,, bassnw.com,, somebody has to have one!!! I know they're around,, i just played thru 2 of them yesterday.

1300-1400 bucks for 500 WATTS OUT OF 16 TUBES!!

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    My Carvin DCM1000? $400 delivered.

My SansAmp RBI? $260 out the door.

Add another $100 in a case and cables.

$760 for 1000W of tubey sound. And I bought everything new. Not bad!

8. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you want a tube amp, buy a tube amp. No solid state or hybrid is going to give you the sound or response of a tube amp. Anyone who says so has never stood in front of a cranked vintage SVT through an 8x10 cab.

Speaking of SVTs, for about $500 or so you can by a good condition vintage one. Put in about $300 for a retube, and recap and your will have a sound that will knock your socks off.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    repeated.

10. Devnor

Devnor

Nov 13, 2001
    Dallas TX
    When I bought my Mesa guitar amp mail order, they shipped it free. It got here with a bad tube(lucklly I had some tubes), Mesa sent me a couple more. They kick ass and so does the 400+.

There isnt anything like a real tube bass amp...

11. hmm, yea .... yea

I think for now, since I'm cash strapped, I may just get a poweramp and run the pre out of my SVTIII-Pro. Anyone ever run that type of combo? I think its the same pre-amp as the SVP's no? Just gonna have a heavy rack for awhile, not that the 400+ is any light rig.

Greg

ps - Devnor: where did you mail order from? Cause I dont see that you can directly from Mesa's website ....

12. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    I'm still debating on what to get. I want a Mesa Walkabout which cost $800 (300watts@4ohm). For that price I could get a QSC amp and Sansamp RBI with 1800wattts@4ohm. The only advantage I see with the Walkabout is that it's small and light which is pretty good. 38 pounds less than Pre-Power combo to be exact :) .

13. 1800 watts for less than 800 eh? which QSC are you talking about exactly?

edit: oh never mind, you're talking bridged

Greg