Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre + Power for my Eden Cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sean Baumann, Dec 15, 2003.

1. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Howdy.

Right now I am running an Eden Metro + Eden 210XLT. The Eden metro just doesn't do my Q5 justice. I've been thinking of moving to a pre + power setup for some time. I just hang on to the Eden for small gigs and practice.

I'm not sure what cabs I will end up with, but I am seriously considering an Eden 410XLT. Ever time I have played one of these at the local music place, I was really impressed. If that is what I get, then I will have two Eden cabs, a 410XLT and a 210XLT. How much power would I need for this type of setup? Would I need to run bridged mono, or run sterio? What about the different power rating for the cabs? Wouldn't one seem louder than the other? I'd also consider getting a 15 in the future, just to be ulta versitle.

The weight of the 410xlt can't be much worse that I am already lugging around. That metro is no joke.

Thanks!
    Sean

2. I run an Eden Navigator with a Carvin DCM600 power amp and it more than gives my Eden 210XLT enough. I would seriously recommend getting the Navigator and Carvin power amp set up. The Carvin can be run in stereo, bridged, bi-amped, it can do it all. You will save a ton of money over a QSC, Mackie, etc. As you know the Eden head/cab combo sounds great. I think it makes a real difference when you add the Eden cab to the mix because they make their own speakers (or at least they used to). I have never had a need for more power with that set-up.

3. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Thanks for the info. I'll consider the carvin line. I'm all about saving money right now! I actually had a DCM2000 for a short time (maybe a week), but the weight put me off.

Actually, I like the eden head sound for my 535, but it just doesn't sound very good with my Q5. I have no idea what pre I will go with, I'll worry about that after I get my power amp and decide on which 410ish cabinet I want.

My real question is whether it is smart (or not) to run my 210XLT with a 410XLT? If so, how much power would I need, and would I have to run stereo or biamp?

4. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Thanks Josh. Yeah, I'd be getting the 410XLT (or XST I guess) in 8 ohms. My 210XLT is also 8 ohms. Will there be a huge volume difference between the cabs if I were to run these in bridged mono? Will I damage the 210 since it is a lower power rating that the 410?

5. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Josh, you rule. Thanks for all the help.

6. bassic1959

bassic1959

Jan 16, 2003
    I currently use an Eden 115XLT and 210XLT with an Ampeg SVP Pro and Behringer EP1500. Awesome sound and plenty of headroom. I run bridged mono into 4 ohms. The Edens really came alive with some real power pushing them. I previously used a B2R at 350 watts.

7. I would normally recommend the Navigator pre without hesitation, but if you don't like the sound your Q5 has through the Metro, I'm not sure the Navigator would make much of a difference, as both have "the Eden sound" in my experience. Or do you think the Metro is underpowered, and that's stifling the Q5?

I can't comment on mixing cabs; I run stereo into two 2x10s (Aggie and Eden, which are both rated 350w). I've inquired about combining a 210 and 410 here before and received conflicting opinions. I'm guessing the 410 would be noticably louder (410XLT is 106db, 210XLT is 103db), but not overwhelmingly so. Josh's advice about not unreasonably pushing them is golden.

Also, regarding Carvin power amps: hearsay is that they are solid products, lots of good things to say about them. However, crhoton's assertion that they are significantly cheaper than QSC is wrong; I actually got a new RMX 1850HD from Life Effects Pro Audio for a few bucks less than the shipped price of a (less powerful) DCM1500. Lord Valve has similar QSC prices. The Carvins are lighter though, FWIW.

8. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    I own the same setup you are wanting, let's not forget about my MTD 535 either :)

As a 410XLT user, I see no need for owning another cab, it pulls off any gig I have needed it to, a lot of times without PA support, and it doesn't need it. I originally had an Eden 15 to complete the stack, but sold it since the frequency responses were well covered by the 410, and the 15 just added fart to the tone. I could see wanting to have a 210 for an easier tote to smaller gigs, but I really think unless you are doing stadium tours, the 410 will keep ya covered. I run the Navigator pre as well, and love it. This pre also has nice bi-amping options, if you decide to go that route, keep this in mind.

Since weight is an issue for you, I am not sure my power amp choice will work for you. At the time I was looking, I needed power and reliability on a budget. I ended up with one of the discontinued (but are still available) three-space crown XLS-602 power amps. While they are a bit on the heavy side, for $325 shipped brand new, they cannot be beat. Massive clean power, and so far, great reliabilty. I run it bridged @ 8 ohms to the XLT at 1200 watts, and if I run it with a second 8 ohm cab, power jumps to 1680 watts. It replaced one of the ultralight stewart 1000w single space amps, which was a piece of garbage.

In the end, I am totally happy with my rig, and see no need to upgrade in the future, the damn thing sounds like I have my own dedicated full range for PA, it is truly brutal.

9. Sean Baumann

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    OK. I'm going to start looking for the cab now. Grab myself a nice power amp (hopefully used) around 1200 watts bridged into 8 ohms. I'll then do a pre-amp shootout to decide which one I want.

Perhaps the problem is power. Maybe my metro isn't supplying my 210XLT with enough juice to make my Q5 sound decent. Maybe I just suck, and nothing will fix my tone :)

10. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    I use a Eden 410 with a Demeter HBP-1 and a PLX 1602 with great results.

:D