Pre/Power setups that KILL!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Jun 19, 2003.

1. Pre/Power setups ROCK!

181 vote(s)
  2. Head for me, thanks!

50 vote(s)
  3. I'll take my combos, any day...

11 vote(s)
  4. I'll plug into a carrot and rock the house!!

17 vote(s)
  1. Hey Guys, I was just searchin up some good stuff on the ol' 'net...How many of you guys use these setups, and what's your favorite versatile combination?I'm looking for my future setup, and want something with a fat, but modern tone...with a full low, round mid and sparkly, but not harsh, Hi End...I was thinkin Genz-Benz Cabs to compliment(2x12 over a 15 or 18) How bout it?
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Get yourself a QSC power amp and any preamp, and you'll be set. If you decide later that you want a different sound, all you have to do is swap the preamp. If you find you need more power for a different gig, you can just swap the power amp.
  3. I was figuring I'd hear QSC, which didn't suprise me...Which one would you suggest for my power needs, I want to be able to blast out any gig I could get...With one of those 2x12s and a 15 or 18" sub, how much juice would I need?
  4. My personal feeling is that 400 watts or so is plenty enough even when playing with two high gain half stack loving guitar players. If you're going to be playing a very large venue your cab will surely be miced off and ran through the house system. Everybody's different though, you may feel comfortable with more power than that. Keep in mind what kind of music you're going to be playing, I play in a jazz combo with a 35 watt "practice" amp and have no problems being heard but that would never work in a rock band :)
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Who would select anything else?? :rolleyes: :D
  6. Buy yourself an Alembic pre and read the posts on power amps, then choose a power amp, then buy it, then patch the pre into the power, then plug the power into a power source, then plug in your bass, then turn on the pre, then turn on the power, then jump up and down sreaming "I don't deserve to sound this good, just kill me, kill me now."
  7. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I picked up a used QSC PLX 3002 on Ebay for around $500. Plenty of juice using either or both channels to run a variety of cabinet configurations for any size venue, from coffee houses to large outdoor stages. And most importantly, its light as a feather, and reliable as hell.
  8. Really just about any of the PLX series would run that setup if the overall impedance is not less than 4ohms. The plx1202 is 1200 Watts into 4 ohms bridged and it is the smallest one they make. As for the RMX line I'd probably go with at least a 1450. They don't cost much more that the 830. As for a pre-amp the sky is the limit. I like the Alembic and the Ampeg. I think the Tech21, Demeter, Kern, etc.,etc., etc. will do what you need. The Tech21 isn't a lot of money ($300) and has the type of tone you describe......:bassist:
  9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Recently got a QSC 1602 (1600W bridged) w/an Aguilar DB 659 (just 6 lbs) to push an Eden 4x10 and an Eden 15 @ 4 ohms. With a SansAmp Bass Driver in front, it can do everything from Tommy Shannon to Entwistle-tone, depending on my technique and my strings.

But a QSC 2402 or larger would have been nice because I've been lusting over those Accugroove Bill Dickens jobs that cost a mint and eat watts like nachos.

Still the 1602 never wimpers/clips when I pop & slap and it keeps the tone clean and pure. Plus, you're rarely, if ever, going to use anywhere near all of its 1600 watts.

All-tubes would be nice, but the hassle with weight and maintenance just isn't worth it to me since my stuff gets trucked around all the time. Moreover, the audience and other musicians think it sounds superb!

I know there are better rigs, but this is one that allows me to express myself.
  10. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I use a Sansamp RBI that I bought directly from recommendations on this board. THe sound is as exactly as you described. Best $300 I ever spent.
  11. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I vote Demeter '201 --> RMX 2450...heavy, but satisfying :bassist:
  12. MauriLii

Jan 19, 2003
    Kent, England
    Well, there are certain advantages to having separate pre and power amps.... oooh. I get it.

Not often enough, though:D
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I do poweramp/head!

I use the preamp from the head into the poweramp, then use the head for practice and for a backup in case of poweramp faliure.
  14. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    I have a Dem 201S -> QSC PLX1602, but based on your stated tastes, you probably want to check out the Ampeg SVT-Pro or Kern IP-777 or Alembic F-1X.

As far as speakers go, I went for the one-cab-that-does-it-all approach (Bergantino HT322--and it does!). If you're sold on G-B, you might want to check out a 2x10 over a 2x12 or 4x10 over a 1x15 (basic advice: keep your options open and listen to alot of different stuff).
  15. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    That RMX 2450 is a freakin' mule!!!
    I don't really mind the weight; it delivers and is built really well. I don't give it much punishment, but I worry a whole lot less when I hit a pothole or something while going to a gig.

I'm OK with my Ampeg SVP-pro, but I think I'm going to move on to something better. It was great for the price, but probably more suited for a heavy rocker.

I'll probably keep it in my rack though.
  16. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been running an RBI > DCM1000 rig for the last year and a half, and have been very happy with the power and tone. However, my back was starting to rebel against the weight of the Carvin in a rackbag and the pre and other stuff in a XRack, so I recently went over to a head. The Pre/Pweramp rig just sold today.

I'll miss the RBI, but I can always get another if the need arises.
  17. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use both.

Eden Navigator/PLX 3002 for larger venues.

Mesa Boogie Walkabout for smaller venues.

18. billys73

Apr 25, 2003
    Once I did a gig with a rented SVT. When I touched the mic, (and my strings) I got a shock that made me black out! Later on we discovered that the power cord to the SVT was frayed!

Does this count as a rig that kills?

Seriously, usually it seems like you get a more audiophile power section with a separate power amp.
    Big disclaimer: There are crappy power amps out
    there ! As well as some bass amps with great, low distortion power sections.

It also seems to me the main companies like Crest, QSC, Crown etc.....have high end and low end lines that vary greatly in quality-and rightfully so it is reflected in the cost of the amp. Has anyone used a Bryston on the road? It's a standard amp in the studio; but I never see one in a bass rig.
  19. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Demeter VTBP201 -> Hafler Pro 5000; gives me the best sound I've ever had.
  20. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    If money counts more than extra weight, check out the QSC RMX1850HD (1800W bridged into 4 ohm). That's what I was planning to get, but the dealer didn't have 'em in stock at the time and made me a special deal on the PLX1602.

The 1850HD is over-engineered for more demanding usage (it's the same weight as the RMX2450 amp, 44.5 lbs.). They are very reasonably priced.

If money is not so much an issue, check out the QSC PLX3402 or PL236 (should give you power to share for years to come).