Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

pre/poweramp volume dilemma

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by neptune, Jul 1, 2001.

1. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Hey Folks, I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a problem I'm having. The signal chain is Stingray5, Eden WP-100 pre, QSC PLX-2402, Epifani T-212. I'm playing with a reasonably loud (though not to an extreme) blues band. I'm constantly lighting up the clip LED's on both the Eden and the QSC. I'm running the Eden gain and master level controls at 11-12 o'clock, and having to run the QSC on max to keep up with the stage level. I should be pushing 750 watts into the 4 ohm Epifani. I'm afraid to run bridged as 2400 watts seems a little rediculous and I don't want to blow the cab. Any ideas?

2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I'd approach the problem in the same way a sound guy would. Start with the input device, which is your Stingray 5 in this case. I can't remember if the Eden has an input gain and an output level adjustment or not, but you want to first address the fact that your bass input is too hot for the preamp and causing clipping. A Stingray is pretty hot, especially if you jack up the on-board eq levels. Adjust your input gain on the Eden so that the clipping is reduced, or use the limiter circuit. Once you have a clean signal with only occasional clips, work on the fact that the output of the Eden is too hot for the QSC. You should have plenty of headroom. Don't discount the value in bridging the amp...it'll give you even more headroom. Just because it's possible to get 2400 watts out of it doesn't mean that you have to turn it up that loud.

3. neptune

neptune

Feb 2, 2001
    Maryland
    Thanks for the good advice. Great point about the Stingray being too hot. I've been running it max'd on the volume and tone controls, and the Eden pretty much flat. The limiter circuits have been engaged on both the Eden and the QSC. I'll start with the 'Ray flat, and back off the volume some. According to the Eden manual, the input gain control is at "unity gain" when set to 11 o'clock. I'll try it at around 10 for starters, and work from there. I'll also give the Bridged Mode a try. Appreciate the help.