Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Pre-recorded media settlement.. anyone hear about this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by membranophone, Jan 27, 2003.

1. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
  2. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    BUMP. No one wants free money?! :confused:

3. Nate Dawg

Nate Dawg

Apr 8, 2000
    Denver, CO
    Penny Arcade had a link to that site a few weeks ago. I signed up because I enjoy receiving money.

4. I'm taking my payment in the form of music. I own 400 cd's and get the same as someone with 1 cd? What is wrong with this picture? Plus if too many people make a claim, they donate all the money to charity. So don't expect to get anything from these weasels.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    They gonna sell the database to junk mailers anyway. :p

6. submelodic

submelodic

Feb 7, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    From the faq on the site:

Q - Will the information I provide on my claim form be kept confidential?

A - Yes. The information you provide on your claim form will be kept confidential and secure, and will be used only to determine your award under this Settlement. It will not be sold to any business for marketing purposes, or shared with anyone not a party to this litigation.

7. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Also from the website:

If the number of claims filed would result in refunds of less than $5.00 per claimant, there will be no cash distribution to individual consumers. Rather, the cash portion of the Settlement shall be distributed to not-for-profit, charitable, governmental or public entities to be used for music-related purposes or programs for the benefit of consumers who purchased Music Products.

Something tells me no one is going to see any money.

8. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    I read elsewhere that only about 35,000 people have signed up thus far. The total amount of cash available is $67.3 mil So, about 100 times as many people will have to sign up for the individual checks to drop below $20. 400 times as many people will have to sign up for everyone to recieve nothing. I really doubt this will happen, this site has been up for a few weeks.

9. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    This means roughly 13.5 million people will have to sign up for the total amount to be donated to charity. Thats like 5% of the total US population. Still think you won't get anything?

10. Wow, a max of $20 for price gouging me on 400 cd's. Better start talking to my financial advisors on how to best handle all this new found wealth. They gouge us for billions of dollars and pay millions in fines, what a scam. Then they have the nerve to complain about us ripping off the recording industry. Well if they ever catch me, I hope some judge only makes me pay them pennies on the dollar.

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York