Pre-Sale Tickets

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by jive1, May 15, 2012.

1. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I read this article:http://monolithmanagement.com/pre-sale-tickets and was astounded.

I have heard of pay to play and selling tickets, but having a certain amount of tickets presold in order to do a show is something I never heard of. Basically the author is mentioning a scam where a venue requires a band to pre-sell a number of tickets, where the band gets a percentage. But, if the band doesn't sell the amount of tickets, they don't get to play on the bill. Sounds ludicrous to me. Has anyone ever dealt with this?

2. To us, it sucks. To club owners, it's the best idea ever.

3. JohnMCA72

JohnMCA72

Feb 4, 2009
    I'm with you, but I guess it's the next logical extension of Pay-to-play.

4. klokker

klokker

Jan 7, 2009
    Steele City, NE
    It hasn't happened to my band, but it has with my sons band. Parents end up buying most of the tickets etc. It seems to be the way that bars want to make money off of kids.

I agree, its another form of pay to play. Poopy.

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I've seen "Battle of the Bands" shows at large venues where the pre-show ticket sales for each band determines the bands time slot, as well as requiring a minimum amount of ticket sales (anything below that coming from the bands pocket). The lowest ticket sales gets you a noon time slot on an all day and evening event, where something like 8:00PM is ideal.

6. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    The whole notion is crazy because in the end it can screw the consumer. Say a band sells a few tickets shy of their required amount and don't get to play. What do you then say to the people who show up that paid for tickets to see a band that didn't get to play? My guess is that they expect the band to pay for the shortfall, since they won't want to disappoint their fans. Pretty crummy if you ask me.

7. echoSE7EN

echoSE7EN

Jul 1, 2010
    Balto., MD
    The Brass Monkey in Fells Point/B-more tried pulling that HS w/ us one night (we didn't even know we were supposed to be selling tickets prior to the show). The opening act knew the owner, vouched for us, and after a heated discussion he allowed us to play his joint...the one and only time.

8. Done this once before, to open for Quiet Riot.

It was maybe our 4th show.

We had to sell 50 tickets at $15 a piece. We were confident we could do it for Quiet Riot, and there was good money to be made if we did.

We sold something like 37 when he called us and told us he had over-sold and we needed to stop selling immediately or he could get shut down.

Hadn't sold to my family yet... the POS charged them $25 a pop at the door ($125) but they were so proud of us they paid anyways. I didn't find out until we were almost home. We don't play there anymore.

Other than that, we have done it twice for a battle of the bands, where up to 40 points (40% of a total score) was judged by ticket sales, and you had to sell $400 worth of tickets. We ended up ponying up about $50 each time to get the full points and never scored very well. we may not have deserved to win the slots they were offering, but it's pretty rigged. Same 8 bands win every year with 2 wildcards, consistently.

9. paganjack

paganjack

Dec 25, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I HATE HATE HATE selling tickets for crap like this. It's the worst feeling. Some genres seem to have to do it more (especially Metal). Regardless it's horrible for bands although I guess it makes lots of money for promoters/venues. Blargh.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021