1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-show Jitters

Discussion in 'Ask Anthony Wellington [archive]' started by iwearpumas, Oct 13, 2013.

1. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    Being that you have been playing on the professional level for YEARS, do you ever get pre-show jitters or nervous anymore? I used to be so nervous when I first started playing (i only play at church). I used to have shaky hands, but im playing in front of the same people for the most part every service. But you travel all around the world, playing in front of thousands of strangers all the time. Do you ever get nervous?

2. Ant Wellington

Ant Wellington

Jan 4, 2011
    Maryland
    Yo Pumas,

I useta' have the worse case of stage fright imaginable. Especially when I joined Victor's band in '99. It pretty much lasted til about 2 years ago. My stage fright affected me in gigs and clinics. It got to the point that I wouldn't even try 'intricate' stuff because it would be hard to pull of with my hands shaking.

It read a lot about stage fright and what it really is. And I talked to some 'professionals' about it too.

For me, it was a case of being more 'hyper' aware of the slight potential for 'failure' than for the stronger possibility of success. And there was probably a little ego involved too.

But 2 years ago I saw a hypnotist at a 'chance' meeting set up by a friend. This woman has cured many people from things like stage fright and phobias. I wasn't convinced it was gonna' work. I'm still not totally convinced that it worked. But,...I haven't had stage fright since that day.

WEIRD!!!

-aw

3. iwearpumas

iwearpumas Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Middletown, NY
    I wonder if a hypnotist can bring out my inner melody.