1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-SWR Bassman 200: Turn into cab?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbcandle, Feb 17, 2008.

1. dbcandle

dbcandle

Jan 30, 2008
    I have a Bassman 200 combo (200W w/15"). It was made shortly before Fender bought SWR, and went "silver-face" on the Bassman series (about 4-5 years ago).

It sounds great, but the (Mexican made) pre-SWR Bassman amps tend to die pretty young. Really poorly built electronics, but the speaker and horn are fine.

Is there any reason when it dies that I can't stick a 1/4" jack on the back and use it as a 1x15" (with horn) cabinet, if I purchase a new head? Presumably the cross-over for the speaker/horn is inside the amp, and would still work; there's a nice dial on the back the control the amount of horn.

I'd probably get a higher-wattage head, but I'd be careful not over-drive the speaker.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Sure ya can, I've modded both my (working) combos with male-female 1/4" plugs for regular combo use or as cabs. Just locate the two speaker wires coming from the amp and keep the polarity corect for any possible future use with other cabs.

DSCN1714.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA

are those b100r's?? cool!

4. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    You are corect sir.

DSCN1705.