1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Pre-TB Basses......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by malthumb, Jul 3, 2012.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Ok, we have "pre-CBS" Fenders, "pre-Gibson" Tobias, and "pre-EB" Music Man..... What about "pre-TB" basses. That is, basses you owned before you subscribed to TB and STILL own.

I have two....

A pair of Alembics, both received in June 2000. I joined TB in March 2001. I still consider the 5-string as my go to bass.

AlembicsRus.

Of my other 4 basses, two were definitely inspired by TB....
    • Roscoe LG-3005: I had heard of Roscoe (from TB), played one at a TB GTG, and then contacted Gard to spec one out.
    • Marchlewski 5-string: Saw the originals in WolfeHollow's threads. Contacted him and Jake Marchlewski to get one built in 2004. Still have, still play

So......what basses did you have BEFORE you joined TB that you still have today?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Zip, zero, zilch.

Pretty sad, but I sold all my basses 15 years ago and got back into playing 6-7 years ago.

My 1974 P MIGHT be pre-TB, but very close.

3. Yup. I'm not playing ANY of the same equipment that I was before joining TB.

And even better, almost everything I'm playing now was a direct result of the influence of TB, and the reviews I've found here.

4. J Gold

J Gold Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Houston,TX
    Only my 2005 Warwick Corvette...it's the longest I've held onto any bass that is part of my gig rotation...and a really hot ex gave it to me...

5. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist

Sep 10, 2009
    Manhattan
    My Schecter C-4 Elite, and my 1978 P-bass.

6. rhino333

rhino333 Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2005
    Western NY State
    I have my Pre-TB basses and others that I bought Post-TB, but TB never influenced my choices.

Now if you want to to talk pedals, that's a TOTALLY different story. Most of the pedals on my board were purchased after considerable research on TB. We might have a new thread here.

7. Ditto. 1/2 my basses are pre-TB, 1/2 are not. However, I'm old, and have had my slapped together Frankenstein Fender bass (mostly a P-bass) since the mid-80's.

I've never taken any advice from TB on basses. However, I've taken tons of advice from other TB'ers when picking effects and cabs.

8. GeneralElectric

GeneralElectric

Dec 26, 2007
    NY, NY
    I think only one of my basses is pre-TB and thats because it was my first bass.

9. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

All my pre TB basses are long gone!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have my Pre-TB hands and a few cables.
    I will say that I am happier with my gear than I have ever been in my life. TB brought to a head my natural tendency towards GAS, and now I am at peace with what I own.

11. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    All mine were sold because they were too heavy, so not TB related.

12. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Now, there I'd have a different story to tell. All my effects, amps, and cabs are post-TB with a LOT of TB influence. Only stuff left from pre-TB are a Crate practice amp and a Zoom 506 pedal, both gifts from the Mrs. (therefore in-disposable) but neither used today. Funny thing is, I have two 506 pedals because I thought I had lost the one she bought me and quickly picked one up at a pawn shop to cover it up. Then found the original.

13. This is my only pre-TB bass. I bought it new in November of 1998 and it's been with me ever since, except for a couple of months last year (sold it and bought it back.)

rev1.

14. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I currently have no pre-TB basses. However, my affinity for Alembics started prior to TB. I worked my way through 3 used Alembics before settling on the custom that I still own. I want to say that my stable is set in stone but it's silly not to say "never say never".

Bones

15. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Don't be ridiculous.

There weren't basses before TalkBass.

16. I've had my pre-Gib/pre-TB Tobias for twenty-four years.

Tobias4-0704sm.

I've had ol' Hotpants ('92 F-Bass) here goin' on eighteen years. Both still see plenty of playing time.

FBass9902sm.

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My Warmoth fretless is pre-tb, though I did change the body after I joined. TB really had nothing to do with me changing my basses; the fretless was just the first of the parts basses I planned on building.

18. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Hmmm...

My Modulus Q5 and my Yamaha ATT LTD-II. Possibly my EBMM SR4, but I don't remember.

19. bootsox

bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    Well, they're all before I registered to TB, but I only have a dozen or so that I got before I started lurking tb.

20. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    None! I've done a total makeover thanks to TB!