1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pre vs Post Ernie Ball?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RHCP250, Apr 23, 2009.

1. RHCP250

RHCP250

Nov 24, 2008
    What is the difference between the pre and post ernie ball stingrays?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    The years they were in production.

/thread.

3. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    The spelling of his first name.

4. The main differences are the neck joint and the neck finishes:
    Pre EB: microtilt, gloss poly
    Post EB: 6 bolt, gunstock oil

These are just the most basic and obvious as I'm not an expert.
    Do some searches on TB and google, you'll find everything there is to know!
    Peace
    :bassist:

5. The pre ones were better if you like Pre ones. But the post ones are best more post liking people.

6. Mainly, I think, the preamp. Older ones mostly have 2-eq, I think? Newer ones will have 3 Eq (except older newers one have 2). or You can get newer ones with 2.

Confused yet?

7. all i know is that i've heard that the pre EB's were "better"
    that's just and opinion i heard though.

8. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    Well, you can actually order new ones with 2band EQ.
    Pre EB also came string thru body bridges and original preamp was modded even during the Pre EB era.

One correction: Since Ernie Ball still owns the company I guess there`s no "Post Ernie Ball", right ?

You can check those differences here:
    http://www.musicmanbass.org

9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The preEB Rays' have slab (non contoured) bodies. While the EB Rays have contoured bodies. If you're talking about single H Rays, the EB usually has the 3eq, but you can still order the 2eq preamp.

Basically, the preEB:
    The first few years had string thrugh body and 3-bolt necks. Then around '80/81 switched to 4-bolt necks and top load stringing. Everything else stayed these same.

The EB:
    started out with 4-bolt necks, then switched to 6-bolt necks.
    At first only had the 2eq, then in 87 the 3eq came available.

I've had a bunch of both, love both, but my preEB's have always had thinner more comfortable playing necks than my EB's. I also really only like the 2 band eq's.

10. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    +1. I own a pre-EB SR. I don't really want an EB-era SR because I like the pre-EB neck profile better. YMMV.

11. In order of bitchiness:

1. Pre-EB Music Man
    2. Pre 1995 EB Music Man
    3. Post 1995 EB Music Man

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I think this is one of those cases where old isn't really better... I played PLENTY of pre EB music man basses and never really liked them... And when EB bought them I was *very* dubious... but ultimately liked what they did (hence my owning of a few). I think they had similar QC issues that Fender did, and CnC machining *really* has made quality control easier for all builders.

As for the neck profile comment... I've never played a older MM with a thin neck, but that may be that I've just not seen one. Heck, I've never played ANY MM with a particularly thin neck - but that really isn't their game (ala Zon/Pedulla).

13. Mr. Ray

Mr. Ray

Feb 20, 2009
    Canada
    I believe the Original Musicman Stingrays had a different 2 band than the ones available today. Check John East preamps they have a pre Ernie ball replacement 2 band. Also the pickups are different check Nordstrand and Duncan as they have pre Ernie style replacements. The electronics and the necks are the major differences.

14. timmyc

timmyc

Nov 29, 2005
    UK
    I've played 2 pre eb stingrays but preferred my 2003 model so go figure, and I like vintage basses. Judge each bass on its own merit.

15. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Edited the title.

16. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    It's actually reported to be the exact same circut since 1979, ie; after the black epoxy 76-78 preamps, came the non-epoxied pre's. The 07 2eq ray I had was the exact same as my 81 Ray.
    My 2/78 has a black epoxy pre, and is noticeably different (warmer yet)

17. Caca de Kick

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I wish you could try out my small fleet of preEB Musicmans. All three have thin front-to-back necks with 1-5/8 widths, and very rounded fretboard edges from the factory.

My last 8 that I can remember, later EB Ray necks were all very thick front-to-back, and a hard-angled fretboard edge.
    Not that this bothered me at all, just pointing it out.