1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale pre-WWII German flatback

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Vince_P9, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Vince_P9

Vince_P9 Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Hudson Valley New York
    Price:
    $3500.00
    Strings:
    Hello TB,

Up for sale is my 3/4 size, fully carved, German flat back bass. With the bridge centered at the F-hole notches, the string length is 43". The bass is set up with the bridge nudged north to give a playing length of 42.5". It has an Eb neck. The bass is estimated to be made before WWII, but could have been made as far back as the early 1900s. The inside label simply reads 'Made in Germany'. It has ebony hat-peg tuners.

CONS: There is no visible damage to the neck or head scroll, though, over time the neck appears to have begun to point towards the treble side of the instrument. This puts the bridge in an off position which can be seen in the photos. To my eyes most of the major cracks have been repaired, though the work isn't very tidy to say the least. There is some cringe worthy repair work done to what appears to have possibly been a hole in the back, which I've included photos of. The lower bouts are separating a bit where they meet at the endpin, as seen in the photos. There is also some separation between two of the pieces of the back, not at the center seam, but towards the outside near the lower bout, photos have been included. I believe the bass was refinished as well at one point, it's very dark, nearly opaque on the back and sides. The bass otherwise shows wear consistent with it's age.

Otherwise, I really love the sound of the bass, it's very focused, with a plenty of volume, very mid-rangey and growly. It also has a nice thick ebony fingerboard. Currently strung with Helicore Pizz mediums, set up for low string height at 5mm-8mm, G to E respectively.

Overall, this is a fantastic sounding antique bass with some serious potential for someone who can put the repairs into it.

Bass is located in the Hudson Valley, near Poughkeepsie.

More photos and information available on request!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018